• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No wonder we are finding it so hard to cope

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I was replying to a thread in general chat this morning and I realised we have lost 24 rabbits this year, plus our little piggy Rita :cry:

How can that be possible :shock: No wonder we are struggling so much :(:(

Many of the rabbits we have lost have only been with us for a few months, which just shows that the ones we do take in are having more serious or complex problems. However we have lost a few long termers which has been really hard

On a more positive note we have taken in and helped 29 bunnies this year so far.

We knew running a sanctuary would not be easy, but I don't think anyone could be prepared for the past 11 months. I wonder what next year will bring us :?

Just think of the good you did for those bunnies,all the love and comfort they had while they were with you.

You do a brilliant job albeit a very draining one emotionally.x

You must be extremely strong emotionally, I bet every one takes its toll on you. You rescuers do such a brilliant job though. :)

It's so nice to know that some of the poor little bunnies are being cared for like they deserve, if only for a little while.

Blimey Liz - that's an average of 2 per month :shock: No wonder you're feeling blue. I'm not sure I'd have your strength to carry on. But then at the same time, think how much you've brought to the lives of those bunnies you've helped this year too. That's a wonderful thing.

I don't know if this helps or not, but we have lost 22 animals this year and they were in now way as severely ill as your buns- most of ours were old, some had come with problems and some died for no reason that I could see.:(
I think sometimes you get spells of losing animals- we always dread the winter because that is when the old and infirm outdoor animals start to suffer and we often lose some in January or February. This summer was amazingly quiet for us, nobody even got suddenly ill- Jess and Fliss had their problems before we go them- but we are certainly paying for it now!

Thanks louise, some of our did manage to die of old age, and the majority had major health problems when they arrived. Its funny though, things were better for us in the colder weather. June, July and August were the worst :?

Thanks louise, some of our did manage to die of old age, and the majority had major health problems when they arrived. Its funny though, things were better for us in the colder weather. June, July and August were the worst :?

Perhaps the heat affects your buns more if they have respiratory problems etc.

I honestly believe that an animals in distress is living on adrenalin and it can hold off other issues, once they relax these issue rear their ugly heads. We have had a couple of animals who have been starved and after they have been fed up and looked after they have developed tumours. Its almost like the animal has been starved but so has the cancer. Perhaps they feel relaxed enough to let go too, if it is really meant to be.
Does that sound really stupid!:oops:

I honestly believe that an animals in distress is living on adrenalin and it can hold off other issues, once they relax these issue rear their ugly heads.....Perhaps they feel relaxed enough to let go too, if it is really meant to be.

I absolutely believe this!

Liz you have had such a hard year, but you have brought love and happiness to the lives of each and every single bun you have looked after, whether it be days, weeks or years! You make a huge difference to their lives, even if you can't change the outcome.

Jim had the chance to pass while in a loving environment with you and Ella with him, I am sure he was grateful for that :love:

Oh Liz, 24 rabbits and Rita piggy :(

I just can't imagine coping with all that distress. You and Steve do an amazing job helping all these poorly bunsters to have a wonderful retirement with you, however short some of their stays are :)

Hoping for much less heartache for you in the months to come.

Perhaps the heat affects your buns more if they have respiratory problems etc.

I honestly believe that an animals in distress is living on adrenalin and it can hold off other issues, once they relax these issue rear their ugly heads. We have had a couple of animals who have been starved and after they have been fed up and looked after they have developed tumours. Its almost like the animal has been starved but so has the cancer. Perhaps they feel relaxed enough to let go too, if it is really meant to be.

I beleive this too :)

You must be shattered Liz, you've had such bad luck this year and you really didn't deserve it :( Remember to look after yourself and I hope things are easier for you next year x

Liz it must be such a hard thing to do, you do an amazing job for these special buns that may otherwise have not known love in their often short lives.
Stay strong, hugs to you Steve and all the furries xx

Gosh Liz when you add the numbers up like that you're right, it is no wonder you've found it so hard to cope! Like others, I'm quite certain that these special buns find their way to you for days, weeks, months or years and for some that arrive very neglected or poorly I'm sure it's the love and care that they feel that allows them to relax, stop fighting and slip away happy.

Big hugs to you and Steve xxx

Gosh Liz when you add the numbers up like that you're right, it is no wonder you've found it so hard to cope! Like others, I'm quite certain that these special buns find their way to you for days, weeks, months or years and for some that arrive very neglected or poorly I'm sure it's the love and care that they feel that allows them to relax, stop fighting and slip away happy.

Big hugs to you and Steve xxx

Thank you everyone

I honestly didn't realise it was so many, certainly not over 20, and the year isn't over yet. To think when we first opened officially 2 years ago we wondered if there would even be a call for a place like ours.

I do agree with what Alison and others have said, thay do seem to find there way to us for a reason, and I do believe they feel safe and loved here which means they can relax and go to the bridge when they need to. Doesn't stop it hurting though, even though I can see the good in it too.

Somethings in life are out of our control ~ the parting of loved ones
Somethings in life we do have control over ~ like making things better for others

this is what needs to be the focus

venice

Back