• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fire Escape Plan for Buns

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Sorry to bring up such a dark topic, but as I was staring into my fireplace last night, I began to wonder...

What would you do if your house was on fire?

My first thought would be to rush my rabbits into their carriers, but I have a heck of a time trying to do that just to get them to a vets! I could never pick them both up, because they hate it so much. They would squirm and kick, and even if I made it outside, they'd probably leap out of my hands and be gone forever.

Maybe I should set up two cardboard boxes in their room and just scoop them into that?

Either way, do you guys have an escape plan for you buns if you ever needed to evacuate in a rush?

My house is three storey with an open plan downstairs and so if the fire was down here we would be stuffed. I also have three bunnies in three rooms on three levels at the minute so gathering them up would be a nightmare!

I recently had a Fire Safety Home Check and devised a plan with the fire officers.

I also have stickers in my window saying "In Case Of Emergency Please Rescue My Animals".

I would keep a couple of towels near them and just chuck them over and hold tight. It would be an awful things for the buns to go through but it would save their life and be quick enough not to put yours in danger. You can put them in the car when you get out the house, just remember the keys lol.

Last edited:
I would keep a couple of towles near them and just chuck them over and hold tight. It would be an awful things for the buns to go through but it would save their life and be quick enough not to put yours in danger. You can put them in the car when you get out the house, just remember the keys lol.

That's a really good idea. I also love the stickers that Cat has on her windows! I gotta get me some of those.

I worry about this all the time, not so much for the rabbits as they are outside in the kennels/ runs, but I worry about the cats, dogs, rats and parrotlets. I would just have to do the best I could and get as many out as possible.

I had a dream similar to this, I was super strong though and shoved all the bunnies into a cage each, then stacked them ontop of each other (that's five cages) and carried them all out a once, like super-mummeh! In reality though all my housemates would save the bunnies. no doubt about it.

I'd never thought about this before :shock: I feel a bit sick now cos i'm thinking "what if i couldnt get to them" :cry:

I've always kept their carrier next to their cage so that if ever anything should happen I can shove them in their carrier and get them out of the house with me.

I'd stick Charlie in his cat carrier, the cockatiel in a small cage I have stacked away and either stick the hamsters in a cardboard box or their balls, whichever was easiest at the time. I've thought it through a lot, I'm terrified of it happening :oops: I'd then hopefully dump them outside and aim to get the other doors open so the cats could get out of the house

my buns room has french doors leading outdside so id just break the glass to get her out if i couldnt get in from the inside

We have a fire plan..our sons..although now grown up..would be our first priority..dogs next..easy to deal with as both are obedient, sleep in our room and love being picked up

inside buns..normally only have 2..maybe 3..would be next..all are kept in rooms near opening outside doors and are caged at night..so cages out with buns inside

my biggest worry for the rabbits is the sheds..if one of those caught fire would be awful..hence me keeping watch when fireworks are around:(

I think about this and about how me and the OH would get out from the 1st floor. Obviously if you had to break a limb that would be better than dying but with 2 rabbits.... :?

We worked out that we could probably swing a leg on to the kitchen roof but having a rabbit as well...well, it scares the life out of me....

Its funny you say this as I was having a random thoughts about this last night, I was so paranoid I had to go and check the grill and everything was switched off.

My buns live downstairs in the dining room and I often think whether I would be able to get to them. My smoke alarm is up on the landing and by the time that went off if the fire was downstairs (theres 2 doors between) the bunnies would probably be dead :cry: I MUST get a downstairs alarm fitted but i worry it will go off unneccessarily (cooking toast etc ) as all my downstairs is open plan and the noise of the alarm would scare / injure the bunnies - what to do??

A horrid thought that I do think of quite often - i would do everything possible to save my bunnies though - carriers by cages is a good idea!

It would be a case of getting cats and dogs out for us, as they are the only pets in the house. I'd grab them, i can carry 3 at a time (practise makes perfect!) and my nan could take bailey. The cats are in the conservatory on a night so would be a case of open door and kick out as fast as possible.
As honeybunny said, i'd have no idea what to do if i was the shed or garage.:cry:

I haven't a specific fire plan but once had to catch Esme in an emergency when water from upstairs was coming through the ceiling in torrents :shock: She was in a fairly small pen in the middle of the room which had about an inch of water in it. She was impossible to catch - like a flipping eel! I was getting soaked all the time I was trying to manhandle her (as was she) and she was so scared bless her :cry: I eventually shoved her into a carrier and took her to the safety of a dry room but I dread to think how hard they'd be to catch if there was fire and smoke and smoke alarms going off.

This topic came up on the chinchilla forums too and someone came up with the amazing idea of pillow cases. Not the least stressful of ways but the chinchillas and my bearded dragon can go in there and I can get them out quickly. My bunnies might be a bit too heavy for that, but luckily I can pick them up quite easily. :)

I wonder about this sometimes. The rabbits and birds are outside so should be ok. The cats are fat and lazy and wouldn't think to run away from a fire by themselves so I suppose I would have to grab one under each arm. Josie wouldn't be a problem as she always stays within a few feet of me but finding Napoleon in the house could be a problem... he can find some quite obscure places to sleep.
I also worry about the fish.. there's no way we would be able to move them out in an emergency, even in a bucket...

Back