• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

whats your success rate of bonding neutured male to a non spayed female?

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
coco is 14 wks old, and i dont want to get her spayed till next spring but want to bond them around christmas time, just wandering what my chances of it working will be??

I suppose one could always try but personally,I'd rather wait. Raging hormones could quite easily cause fights. It's better to be safe than sorry :)

I agree with Oompa-Loompa. I bonded my baby doe to my neutered pair very easily... until yesterday she suddenly decided that she wanted a 'more grown up' type of relationship:oops: with both of them :roll:, to which they both objected.:lol: Needless to say that she'll be on her own until she gets spayed, in two weeks' time. Well, she still gets to interact with me.:)

I agree with Oompa-Loompa. I bonded my baby doe to my neutered pair very easily... until yesterday she suddenly decided that she wanted a 'more grown up' type of relationship:oops: with both of them :roll:, to which they both objected.:lol: Needless to say that she'll be on her own until she gets spayed, in two weeks' time. Well, she still gets to interact with me.:)

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Peter and Posy were very easily bonded when she was 3 months old but as soon as hormones hit they had a fight and had to be separated for 6 weeks, 2 before spay and 4 after. I would recommend getting her spayed as soon as she is old enough and then bonding them.

I've had very few problems bonding unspeyed females with neutered males. As Tasmin said in a previous thread, speying females is fairly recent, and many bonds would have been this mix before then. I only got my females speyed over the course of last year after losing Bertha to uterine cancer. At that point I had 5 pairs of this combination- some were years old. I got all my girls speyed and the rebonding was no problem either.:)

Last edited:
My brothers Rabbit Penny isn't speyed and is bonded with Harry a neutered male. They live happy together, but do occassionally argue and you get the tail chasing...and most of the time it's Penny humping Harry! :oops: Harry is now 7years old and Penny is 5 years old.

coco i think is quite hormonal already,so there probably wouldn't be a sudden change in her behaviour as she is quite a little lady already,i have another 3 weeks before rexy will be ready to bond, so i will keep an eye on them and decide closer to the time..
thanks everyone x

be aware males are stil lfertile up to 6 weeks after the op so dont even think about trying it before then!!!!! also it may work out but you will also find if they dont work out and have a fight it may be harder to re bond later. x

i personnally would wait but i've seen what rabbits can do to each when unspayed/neutured due to me being naive and it's not a pretty site. i think patiences has alot to do with it.

My sister is waiting to have her doe spayed and has her neutered brother in with her they love eachother. It depends on the doe i think.

My Tilley and Harry are fine, and was one of the easiest bonds I've done:D

Kirkby rescue only castrate the bucks so all the does in the pairs are unspayed.

I've done it three times, all sucessfully. But you MUST get the girly spayed as soon as she is old enough otherwise the hormones will hit and trouble starts.

Back