• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any idea's on behaviour and MDF is it safe?

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions as to whether its a 'friendly' thing or not. I adopted Ness last week and Gizmo is indoor, however, I am letting him out for a run around the garden when she is securely in her shed/run after her exercise. Anyway everytime he goes up to her and puts his nose up to the bars she rubs her chin on him, I know this is scent but, does that mean she is likely to want to be the dominant or is it just normal and not an indicator ?? There is no stereotypical aggression from either of them. They are both un-spayed/neutered/ ....
Also is MDF safe to use for buns - I have a vague memory reading something that said it was toxic if chewed??

Last edited:
Re: behaviour, it's hard to comment as they've only met nose to nose. Some females are more dominatn than males, the same as some males are more dominant than females, with rabbits and dogs! If they were neutered and were being introduced then that would give you a better idea. From my understanding with rabbits and dogs, mounting is a dominant behaviour, also scenting but putting nose down can be a greeting. Sure someone will correct me :)

Re: MDF, I vaguely remember reading the same, but can't remember where!

Re: behaviour, it's hard to comment as they've only met nose to nose. Some females are more dominatn than males, the same as some males are more dominant than females, with rabbits and dogs! If they were neutered and were being introduced then that would give you a better idea. From my understanding with rabbits and dogs, mounting is a dominant behaviour, also scenting but putting nose down can be a greeting. Sure someone will correct me :)

Re: MDF, I vaguely remember reading the same, but can't remember where!

:wave:Thank-you hopefully a good sign then, she does put her nose down to him aswell after she has chinned him :D yes they are both deffo being neutered before meeting properly, I was just curious as she is bigger than him but, I've been told that won't make any difference to dominance either?? Yes re MDF I have googled it and rabbits etc can't find a difinitive answer. Only want to make shelfs/ledges but, would avoid it if toxic just to be on the safe side. My OH reckons it could be as it turns to a sort of dust which is carcinogenic to humans if inhaled?

MDF dust is toxic if inhaled by humans, but thats no reason not to have it as furniture for humans so I took the same stance with bunnies. My buns shelf in their dog crate is made out of mdf, they don't chew it at all so I don't worry. I treated it with safe varnish stuff too so its all sealed in.

MDF dust is toxic if inhaled by humans, but thats no reason not to have it as furniture for humans so I took the same stance with bunnies. My buns shelf in their dog crate is made out of mdf, they don't chew it at all so I don't worry. I treated it with safe varnish stuff too so its all sealed in.

:wave: Yes although I have got a nibbler I think :lol: OH has said we are using un-treated ply - far be it from me to disagree when he is on a roll :lol:

Back