• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Life story of the LilOBuns

LilOBun

Young Bun
Thank you for all my welcome messages!! Here’s a little bit more of an introduction about how me, Craig and Reg came to be. :)

Ronnie (an albino) and Reggie (ginger and white) were bred by a friends cousin. My friend had them from babies and had them both neutered at the earliest opportunity. Ronnie and Reggie lived together and were happy as brothers. Ronnie died of head tilt at around 1 – 2 years old and we were advised that Reggie hasn’t been the same since his brother went. Craig arrived in my friend’s garden one day of his own accord. They found out who he belonged to and the owner explained that he was moving house and no longer wanted him so they could keep him if they wanted to. So they did but as Craig is still 'all man', he could not live together with Reggie. They tried a couple of times but gave up as they would fight. (Craig's instincts but lack of experience led him to treating Reg's head like a girlfriend :oops:!!!) My friends went on to have 2 children and because they were busy and otherwise distracted, the bunnies were no longer looked after in the same way. They were thrown scraps and rarely cleaned out. They admitted that they no longer had time for the bunnies, which is where I come in!!:angel: Having just moved into a house with a good sized garden I had been contemplating getting a rabbit as a pet and we agreed that taking Craig and Reg would benefit all round. When they came to me they had clumps of poo the size of snooker balls and their nails were so long they were curled around. I immediately took them to the vets for an 'MOT' and had their nails clipped and I was advised that they were overweight. They are around five years old now and the vet advised that even if Craig were deprived of his manhood, they would probably never be friends so it is best to just accept that the two will have to be kept apart. (It's such a shame because the first thing both of them do when they hop out of their hutches is hop over to the other one to say hello)
Within 6 months they had lovely clean bums, a garden to play in, new hutches, new toys, a herb garden to steal from and we have evolved from playing in a run to having full run around of the garden at play time (in shifts as they can’t play together) and Craig pops in the kitchen when the door is open too!! Craig has a lovely personality, he is scatty, mischievous, loves cuddles, licks me constantly and just loves human contact and attention. Reg is the total opposite, he will tolerate a fuss in his hutch but whilst out running will not have a human anywhere near, he has a far more nervous temperament and is much happier in his own company. He will binky around the garden on his own quite happily! Neither of them like being picked up. Craig will tolerate it but Reg will have absolutely none of it and gets aggressive when I have no choice but to pick him up. I don’t pick him up if I don’t have to, it’s too stressful for him and for me!! I have been wounded by him more than once! I worry about them constantly, am I feeding them enough, am I feeding them the right things, are they happy, are they warm, are they lonely?? It’s reassuring to read messages from other people on this site that shows that I’m not the only one!! So, as my first request for advice, if anyone has any tips on how I could encourage Reg to trust humans and become more friendly, I would be very grateful! I love him to bits how he is but if I could bring him out of his shell and make him a friend and know that he trusts me it would be lovely!!
Thanks for your patience in reading such a long posting! I promise all future ones will be shorter!! :thumb:

Hello, welcome to RU. I agree, it is nice to read your story of how you came to be owned by Craig and Reggie. Maybe you will be able to find ladybuns for them both on here or via a local rescue?

What a sad start to life, I'm glad they are with you now. A very poor excuse saying they had no time because of children, I have children but still make plenty of time for them...we all go together! I'm not sure what you can do to make him friendlier other then mabe put vegtables on you and let him climb on you?

Well done you!! You've given the bunsters a great life!!:D:D I look forwards to seeing pictures!

Hi! :wave:

What a lovely story and a happy ending!

Sounds like your buns are having a great life now! :D

Back