• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sad day

willowrae

New Kit
Have just got home from work and went to feed my two bunnies to find them both dead. They live outside in seperate homes as the are male and female. Both bunnies had been in good health but was wondering if the sudden drop in temperature had anything to do with it. Had bad frost last night. Really upset keep thinking it is something iv done but for both of them to go at the same time has got me puzzled.

could be vhd. were they up to date with their vaccinations?

maybe fright? something could have got in the garden and scared them maybe.

i am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

sleep peacefully bunnies xxx

How awful :cry:

It could be that a predator (Fox) was about. Rabbits can literally be frightened to death :cry:

As long as their hutches were well insulated with lots of hay/straw then I doubt the cold was the cause. Rabbits can adapt well to cold but not to extreme heat.

If they were not VHD Vaccinated then VHD is another possibility.

Or ingestion of a toxin.

A PM is really the only way to get some idea as to what happened

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

Thanks u for replies. I am just abit shocked that both of them have gone at the same time as iv already said they were in different hutches which is why i asked about the weather.

I am so sorry. How awful. I don't know what to say, but my last bunny died suddenly and I had no idea why. Sometimes there is a hidden health problem which is never picked up. The only way I could think about it was that it was a quick loss, rather than a chronic illness.
Sending you lots of sympathy...

Im sooo sorry, thats awful :cry: , im sure it wouldnt be the cold/frost if they had lots of straw/hay to keep them warm?

Back