• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a can of plum tomatoes...

happybun

Wise Old Thumper
i was reading an online rabbit first aid list and found a can of plum tomatoes included, for a particularly floppy rabbit...

i'm curious. are the tomatoes so attractive the floppy bun will immediately pull round? do i use the can to prop up the floppy bun (as i make my way to the emergency vet, obviously!)?

what is a can of tomatoes for? :?

I think one of the reasons for Floppy Rabbit Syndrome is lack of Potassium, and canned tomatoes are an easy source of Potassium.

I have heard that FRS can be cause by lack of Vit E too, which tomatoes probably wouldn't be much use for? :?

Yes FRS is normally a deficiency of Potassium and vit E so tomato juice of some kind is a quick way of correcting the potassium side of it and liquid Vit E would also be needed.

That said FRS is normally only found in young fast growing rabbits.

Can I ask where did you find the online rabbit first aid kit, as I would be interested in finding out more?

Thank you

Helen

i was reading an online rabbit first aid list and found a can of plum tomatoes included, for a particularly floppy rabbit...

i'm curious. are the tomatoes so attractive the floppy bun will immediately pull round? do i use the can to prop up the floppy bun (as i make my way to the emergency vet, obviously!)?

what is a can of tomatoes for? :?

This is entirely responsible for me cracking up at half one in the morning and making my housemate think I've gone bonkers. :lol::lol::lol: I couldn't help it, it was just a really comical mental image!

Back