• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Agh!! Milo ate chocolate!! Advice please!

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I'm freaking out. My moron of an OH just left brownies on the floor while Milo was out, and Milo ate a bite of one of the brownies.

Is chocolate as bad for rabbits as it is for dogs? :cry:

I'm not sure if chocolate is poisonous to buns :? If he only had a bite, I'm sure he'll be fine. Hugo once ran off with a kit kat finger & had eaten a quarter by the time we got it off him & he was ok :lol:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if chocolate is poisonous to buns :? If he only had a bite, I'm sure he'll be fine. Hugo once ran off with a kit kat finger & had eaten a quarter by the time we got it off him & he was ok :lol:

That is a relief! He only got a couple nibbles off, but I was about to murder David when I saw what was happening. :evil: I had warned him 8 seconds earlier to keep food off the floor, but nooooooooooooooo. Who listens to Sara? :evil:

That is a relief! He only got a couple nibbles off, but I was about to murder David when I saw what was happening. :evil: I had warned him 8 seconds earlier to keep food off the floor, but nooooooooooooooo. Who listens to Sara? :evil:

Sounds just like my husband! I've warned him sooo many times about leaving cables exposed but he never listens...so I laughed when Hugo bit through his xbox headset wire :lol: Hugo was a naughty bun :love:

So long as he didn't eat all the brownies I think he'll be fine, Pepi used to nibble dime bars :shock: and Brian steals quality street if we ever have a tin. :wave:

Brownies have a lot of other stuff in them besides chocolate and it he only had a little bit of one, i suspect the amount of chocolate he ingested was pretty tiny.

My Poppy once ate half a twirl bar and she was fine :shock: so while I wouldn't encourage it, I don't think it's an emergency :)

Lola scoffed half a Cornetto when I wasnt looking - and she didnt suffer. Just keep an aye on poo and tummy for the next few days. I rang my vet and he told me (and I trust him a lot) that chocolate is not poisonous to buns like it is to dogs.

I used to feed kitkats to my old bunny, Skip, he loved them :oops::oops::oops: Of course, I was about 12 years old back then and had no idea how to look after bunnies!

He should be okay! Cheeky lad to nick the brownies!!

Lola scoffed half a Cornetto when I wasnt looking - and she didnt suffer. Just keep an aye on poo and tummy for the next few days. I rang my vet and he told me (and I trust him a lot) that chocolate is not poisonous to buns like it is to dogs.

How and why did you leave a Cornetto lying around?! How did it not just turn into a puddle! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ps I think you'll be fine:

100_0967.jpg

ps I think you'll be fine:

100_0967.jpg

:lol: That's so like my bridge bunny Smudge. She'd have been in 7th heaven if they had had giant buttons around whilst she was alive. She'd mug you for a chocolate button! Have to admit to giving her one every now and again as a treat (NB I DO NOT do this with my buns now) and it never affected her. To be honest I think milk chocolate in this country at least is basically fat and sugar and only a tiny bit of cocoa solids, which are the toxin.

Thank you guys so much for all the stories. (And pictures! :lol:) It makes me feel so much better. I woke up this morning, and Milo seemed just fine. But I was so sick with worry last night. :oops:

He better have enjoyed those few brownie bites for all the grief it gave me! :lol:

Chocolate is poisionous but depends on quantity. If he got a few bites, he'll be fine. They can tolerate a certain amount (same as people - still poisinous in large quantites) so as long as he hasn't attempted to eat his own body weight in chocolate, he'll be fine :wave:

A member lost a rabbit after they ate a box of chocolates. As it was only a bite, I wouldn't worry too much. But for larger quantities, I would seek medical advice as chocolate is toxic to buns.

Back