• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits get wet

angelica p

Warren Scout
i have had rabbits for all my life and lost my last on in july. i finally got another one last month and when i was talking to the breeder she said rabbits are not ment to get wet and even if she want to go out in the rain she is not alowed. Is this true just my last rabbit loved it and we would have chase him round the garden, to towel him down befor putting him to bed.:D

Sounds strange to me, but I admit I don't know everything. I'm sure wild rabbits get wet from time to time. Jake would usually put himself back in his hutch when it started raining but there were a few occasions when I'd have to towel him off. I'd be interested in knowing what the answer to this is. And if they can't get wet, then why not.

I can only speak from experience and say that my buns often sit out in the rain :roll: Never had any problems :D

It's only if they don't dry themselves/get dried when they will get ill from wetness. It takes a lot to get through their waterproof coats!

Suuuure. Wild rabbits die if they go out in the rain:roll:

A little rain won't hurt them as long as they have some cover.
I keep my rabbits outside in their runs if its raining a little, but if it starts pouring so they only sit inside I take them back to the hutch. (Happened at least once, Sasuke was out enjoying a light rain when it suddenly got much worse, he took one or two rounds around in the run before almost crashing into the transport cage he used as a temporary shelter:lol: I was watching from the porch so I brought him in.)

I agree with the others here. Bunnies have a pretty waterproof top coat, & fluffy warm undercoat. There are no probs if the top coat gets a bit wet & they can dry off. It's only when they literally get soaked through the under coat, that they can get hypothermia (too cold to maintain internal body temperature.)

Back