• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have just bought this for our bunnies...

I think that for the money you can do a lot better to be honest.

I homecheck for a rescue and we don't rehome to these as the bed area is way to small. Bunnies need to be able to hop about in the inside part of their accommodation so that it works in all weathers. This is too small in my opinion.

Happy hutch does a good 6x2x2 hutch on a 6x4 run for about £140 and these are pretty good quality.

Edit to include.... just realised that you have already bought it. Can you then add a run to it to give the run a bigger area and maybe board in some of the sides so that the all weather area is bigger?

Last edited:
sorry, but i think they are way too small for bunnies. and very expensive! for that price you could have got a large hutch and run combo, or shed with attached run which would have been better value for money.

are the pair you have male and female? you will need to get the female spayed aswell as the male neutered. :wave:

Ive seen this in the 'flesh?' at my local garden centre, I think it looks a lot bigger then it actually is.
And as others have mentioned, the inside bit isnt really big enough for them to flop out, or move around at all really.
I too would vote for happy hutch instead.

Ive seen this in the 'flesh?' at my local garden centre, I think it looks a lot bigger then it actually is.

Sadly, I agree. It always looks huge in the photos, but having seen one in real life, it's not as big as you expect it to be. :(

I agree with Duchess too though, if you board in some of the sides to make a larger sheltered area and then add an extra run, it would be much better. :):)

First of all can I just say that 5.5ft is 5.5ft. It doesn't matter what it looks like on a pic.

Thanks Duchess very much for the suggestion of adding to it, we can do that as my hubby is very handy. We can always add a run or put boards around parts of it.

A shed would cost us a fortune, I don't know where anyone could buy one for less than £125 and get a base put down for it. Please tell me so I can buy one and I have been looking every where for a good size hutch that we can afford and haven't found any, any where near 6ft!! So again, please show me where I can find one, delivered for less or around that price. £140 is too much for us.

Thanks again for the advice xxx

I'd like to add that its much bigger than the picture shows, Jack can stand up in the bedroom bit no problem and can stretch out long ways and sideways.. I personally think its fab and very well constructed.. Its lasted better than my happy hutch which was a lot more expensive.

I used to have a similar one (but it was a trixie one) and it was great, I upgraded to a shed when I had more space but loved my trixie hutch like this, I like that they can go upstairs to feel safe!

If you want to make it a bit more enclosed for bad weather there is someone on here who has done a really good job putting some wood on the back to stop the wind going in!

Good luck with your new rabbits!

:D

To give you an idea of size, heres my bridge bun Eclipse in it.. he was a rather large
DSC00450.jpg

106.jpg

It doesnt come with a base, so I had tiles layed.
001-13.jpg

I think its great - why do folks out a downer on things when your pleased with something? :(

it isn't putting a downer on it, just giving an opinion , which the op asked for. some people will think it is ok, and some won't. i do think adding the board sides and a run will make it much better though. :)

It does come with a weather protective cover too! Free as well for the money!

Those pics are great, it shows that it is a good size!

Well done you for rescuing the buns! :thumb:

Personally, I think the one you've bought is Ok for a hutch, as long as you board up 3 sides of the run to protect them in this evil weather. It wouldn't be fair for that to be where they LIVE though. Do you have an unused garage you could convert? A safe, enclosed garden? Is your house rabbit-proof? With a hutch that small, particularly for 2 buns, I think it's important for them to have at least 6 hours of freedom every day.

I think its great - why do folks out a downer on things when your pleased with something? :(

It's not about putting a downer on things. The op has done a good thing in taking in these bunnies and getting them neutered etc, but if the accomodation isn't big enough then we wouldn't be doing the buns any favours by simply telling the op what she wants to hear.

I think the problem is that people are so used to seeing the little 3ft hutches in pet shops, that a hutch this size does seem really spacious, when the truth is it still doesn't meet RWA guidelines.

It's not a lost cause - with an additional run, it would be brilliant. The footprint of the whole thing is only 5.5ft x 2.5 ft - just under 14 sq ft. I'm guessing the enclosed part is about 2ft x2.5ft, which is only 5 sq ft for the bun to shelter in when it's raining.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-SYKES-MAS...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item518e2ffb49

£135 would buy one of these and it gives 36 sq ft total space. :) Not saying that you should buy one as you have already bought the other, but wanted to show they're available. ;)

Personally myself - if I had posted on the forum that I was excited that I had just bought some new housing for my buns and wanted to share my news and be told I could have spent my money better - I would be feeling a bit deflated to be honest.:oops:

Not everyone is a bunny expert - Im sure I dont get it right and some folks on here wouldnt like they way I look after Lola and Lucy - but we each have different opinions and thoughts so lets leave it at that :)

I actually think the build quality is better than my happy hutch, and gives Jack plenty of space. I would rather have one of these + its easier to clean out.

Back