• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strawberry just attacked my OH!

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Its usually just me Strawbs is horrid to but my OH was just sat feeding him and stroking him when he went nuts. We have checked him all over for injuries to make sure it wasnt when he touched him somewhere and it hurt.

He is just such a vile bunny at the minute!

Oh no!! Could he be in pain? Ted keeps attacking me, and has tried to with Oliver, because he's ill and I think his tummy is hurting.

Or he's jsut telling you to b***** off!!:roll:

Try not to take it to heart, his world has changed, so he's likely to be a grumpy bum!

I know this sounds abit wierd, but could it be possible he has some sort of mental condition?
As its sort of suddenly come on and he is so agressive to you, like when you posted about him trying to get you up in the morning ext..

He doesnt seem to be in pain, is eating well and is very bright and active as always. We checked him all over and he seems fine. He hasnt lost any weight or showed any signs of being ill.

He has got worse over about 3 months, it started at the beginning of the summer with the chasing, then it got to him being agressive to me in a morning, now he chases me whenever I go into his enclosure, bites me as I clean him out. He has never been nasty to my OH before but tonight he went for him, lunging at him.

He doesnt seem to be in pain, is eating well and is very bright and active as always. We checked him all over and he seems fine. He hasnt lost any weight or showed any signs of being ill.

He has got worse over about 3 months, it started at the beginning of the summer with the chasing, then it got to him being agressive to me in a morning, now he chases me whenever I go into his enclosure, bites me as I clean him out. He has never been nasty to my OH before but tonight he went for him, lunging at him.

Mopsymops makes a good point......how old is he? Is it possible to get a bun tested for a mental condition? Poor boy....isn't quite right!!

Are you sure they "got" them?

You could have a blood test? Just to check?

Well I would assume they did- he has never really humped anything but does show all the behaviour of an unneutered male. He sprays, marks his territory, chins everything and is now aggressive!

We thought he was female, it wasnt untill under the GA they noticed he had boy bits and so did a neuter instead.

Well I would assume they did- he has never really humped anything but does show all the behaviour of an unneutered male. He sprays, marks his territory, chins everything and is now aggressive!

We thought he was female, it wasnt untill under the GA they noticed he had boy bits and so did a neuter instead.

hmmm....I thought that male bunnies that had been "done" couldn't actually spray, just "pretend" to if they are horny..? I have heard of them not doing it right, and I'm guessing that Snow was done as soon as she was ready.

It's a toughie!

hmmm....I thought that male bunnies that had been "done" couldn't actually spray, just "pretend" to if they are horny..? I have heard of them not doing it right, and I'm guessing that Snow was done as soon as she was ready.

It's a toughie!

He can get it right up the walls if he wants to!!

I am not sure when Snowdrop was neutered, she was done by the rescue before we had her. I have no problems with her though, just him!

He has turned into psycho bunny!

He can get it right up the walls if he wants to!!

I am not sure when Snowdrop was neutered, she was done by the rescue before we had her. I have no problems with her though, just him!

He has turned into psycho bunny!

If he's spraying the I "think" there is something wrong!!! Is it wee, or stronger stuff?

Well apparently Strawberry has been a bit calmer today. I have been out all day but my OH has been going to sit with him and he hasnt attacked him.

He is grunting though whenever we try and touch him which he doesnt usually do. I want to get him into the vets for a check up but cant untill Wednesday as I am on a course in Cambridge tomorrow and have a meeting after school Tuesday as we have Ofsted in!

Well apparently Strawberry has been a bit calmer today. I have been out all day but my OH has been going to sit with him and he hasnt attacked him.

He is grunting though whenever we try and touch him which he doesnt usually do. I want to get him into the vets for a check up but cant untill Wednesday as I am on a course in Cambridge tomorrow and have a meeting after school Tuesday as we have Ofsted in!

Cambs? Yay! I guess you are busy all day...if not I'd suggest coffee!!

Glad he's not so grumpy today!:D

Cambs? Yay! I guess you are busy all day...if not I'd suggest coffee!!

Glad he's not so grumpy today!:D

Its somewhere called Swavesey- ive never heard of it! My course runs till 4pm so will be busy all day, otherwise I would have loved to come and visit you and Teddy!

Having had a quick look at your previous threads, I understand you have a female bunny that you are "trying" to bond with him. That being correct, he is probably attacking because he can smell the other bunny. Whats your plans for the bonding?

Having had a quick look at your previous threads, I understand you have a female bunny that you are "trying" to bond with him. That being correct, he is probably attacking because he can smell the other bunny. Whats your plans for the bonding?

Strawberry has been bonded with a female, Snowdrop, since March. They were always fine together but in July time he started chasing her. This has got progressively worse since and he has also started attacking me. 3 weeks ago I took in a male bun and he has been in the attic room away from them. I tried to bond them into a trio at the weekend but as soon as Strawberry saw the other male he attacked Snowdrop. I have now had to separate him and Snow.

I am hoping to take all three to Faye (Cottonmathers) for her to have a go at bonding them in a few weeks.

This explains why is attacking and is not unusual behaviour. Even a bonded couple can fight if they see another rabbit and is called referred aggression.
He will smell the other bunnies on you and it will make him bite. My calm house bunny goes absolutely nuts if I have visited a rescue. Its scary.

You are not going to be able to change his behaviour with the three bunnies separate. Once Faye has bonded them, it will hopefully stop.

PS Is the additional male bunny, neutered?

Last edited:
This explains why is attacking and is not unusual behaviour. Even a bonded couple can fight if they see another rabbit and is called referred aggression.
He will smell the other bunnies on you and it will make him bite. My calm house bunny goes absolutely nuts if I have visited a rescue. Its scary.

You are not going to be able to change his behaviour with the three bunnies separate. Once Faye has bonded them, it will hopefully stop.

PS Is the additional male bunny, neutered?

The additional male is now neutered yes.

It doesnt explain why all this started back in July though, I agree it has come to a head because of the other male but Strawberry has been bullying Snowdrop for a long time, before the other male arrived.

Back