• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw

Bobbybobtail

Warren Scout
Hi all,
Just came downstairs from putting my son to bed and found about a teaspoon of blood on the kitchen floor in splatters. It looks like Landrover has lost a claw from the front as there is one missing. It's stopped bleeding, but I've put a tiny bit of cornflour on it in case. Is there anything else I should look for or do? I've checked both buns from head to toe and can't see anything else. Will the claw grow back, or will he be alright without it? I can't even work out what he's done it on, sow ill do some detective work to see if I can find it.
Many thanks
Claire

Make sure that your bunny is using all his four paws and is still eating/pooing. If he doesn't, he's in pain and should be seen by a vet ASAP. I hope he'll be all right xx

Thank you both. he seems fine- eating hay and hopping around as usual. Even letting me touch his paw. Will keep a very close eye on him. I wonder if it will grow back though. If there is any change in his behaviour, will take him to the vets. He's so hyperactive in the evenings, especially today as it's been too wet to go out on the grass. He's been charging up and down the corridor and leaping off the sofa. So scared he is going to run into something and bang his head.
Claire

Thank you both. he seems fine- eating hay and hopping around as usual. Even letting me touch his paw. Will keep a very close eye on him. I wonder if it will grow back though. If there is any change in his behaviour, will take him to the vets. He's so hyperactive in the evenings, especially today as it's been too wet to go out on the grass. He's been charging up and down the corridor and leaping off the sofa. So scared he is going to run into something and bang his head.
Claire

I have to say "Landrover"....BRILLIANT name!! :D:D

Ha, my son chose the names. I thought he would go for something like "Fluffy" and "Sweetie". We absolutely adore them. I thougth the novelty would wear off with him, but it hasn't at all. He evn saves his pocket money to buy them things- got a great wicker basket in the charity shop today for 20p. Anyway, sorry to ramble on.
Teddy is gorgeous by the way!

Ha, my son chose the names. I thought he would go for something like "Fluffy" and "Sweetie". We absolutely adore them. I thougth the novelty would wear off with him, but it hasn't at all. He evn saves his pocket money to buy them things- got a great wicker basket in the charity shop today for 20p. Anyway, sorry to ramble on.
Teddy is gorgeous by the way!

Sounds like a great boy!! You only hear of the children who can't be bothered when they aren't small anymore!

Thanks! He's lovely!

Claire

It seems that Landrover will be all right.:D I'm sorry, I don't know if the claw will grow back. I hope somebody else will come along to help.

Both of my does have ripped out one of their dew claws by accident.

Mindy caught it where the door and the laminate floor meet and Midge caught one of hers whilst ripping into a willow toy.

However they have both grown back normal. I just kept an eye on them, made sure it wasn't bleeding, let me touch their paws etc.

Hope your bunny is ok :)

aslong as he is using his paws ok, he should be fine. and make sure the bleeding has stopped.

both matt and bisc have done this before. matt was ok after, but bisc bruised his toe/foot at the same time so went to the vets and was on pain relief for 5 days, but was fine after that. :wave:

Make sure the wound stays clean, If the whole claw has come off it will grow back but it will take quite a while.

Thank you all for your kind advice. he seems fine this morning- no changes to his behaviour and it doesn't look swollen. Will keep looking at it to make sure.

Back