• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunnies for sale

Katheryn

Young Bun
Hi, im about to rehome my baby rabbits because unfortunatley i cant keep them all, just wanted to know whether i should sell them privately or give to a pet shop, im really put off by selling them privately because I dont want people to get them for xmas presents and not realise that they take quite a lot of looking after! But then the pet shops sell them to anyone! Does anyone know of any good places to advertise or am i being silly?? lol

Plus they are 8weeks old and we are finding it very difficult to sex them so that makes it difficult to sell because i cant tell people what sex they are.

Cheers

xkatx

I would contact a rabbit rescue for advice and help. They might be able to sex them for you too. I wouldn't give them to a pet shop tbh.

Please DO NOT give them to a petshop.
You should get them sexed by a vet, and If I were you, I would approach a local rescue see if they can help you :) x

Good advice from Deelove. If you wanted to rehome them yourself I would suggest telling potential owners what sort of set-up you require - hutch and run size, food, hay etc and carry out a homecheck before you let any go.

If you advertise bunnies free on free ads, they can end up as snake food or dog bait.

I assume this litter was an error and you want some help in securing good homes for them; could I suggest you contact Windwhistle Rescue in Gloucester or Blue Cross at Burford and see if they can take these bunnies and find them homechecked and suitable homes. Alternatively, contact Tamsin on here and put under rabbits in need.

Ok but i feel a bit rude telling people what they need to do when I may not do everything you are meant to: my bunnys are in a 6ft hutch with 6ft run attatched as they kept escaping from the garden, i use straw or shredded paper as bedding cus they dont seem to like sawdust, i think i feed them too much dry food (bowl full) even tho they have lots of veggies everyday, i change there water everyday, got litter trays in hutch because it makes it alot easier to clean them out everyday and i try and cut their nails every few months anything i dont do that i should be mentioning to other people? please

cheers

Ok but i feel a bit rude telling people what they need to do when I may not do everything you are meant to: my bunnys are in a 6ft hutch with 6ft run attatched as they kept escaping from the garden, i use straw or shredded paper as bedding cus they dont seem to like sawdust, i think i feed them too much dry food (bowl full) even tho they have lots of veggies everyday, i change there water everyday, got litter trays in hutch because it makes it alot easier to clean them out everyday and i try and cut their nails every few months anything i dont do that i should be mentioning to other people? please

cheers

A lot of that sounds good :) only thing I'd say is the food, are they on a mix food? Pellets are better for them and then you only feed a few. Also do they get unlimited hay? :)

cheers

Thats good.
Straw and Hay works well for bedding as well, and they also need a constant supply of hay to munch on all day, every day :)

Don't feel rude when telling people what they need to do. You are trusting these people to look after these bunnies, and you should make sure they have everything they need. Make sure you know that their housing and everything is the correct size etc :)
Good Luck x

Thats good.
Straw and Hay works well for bedding as well, and they also need a constant supply of hay to munch on all day, every day :)

Don't feel rude when telling people what they need to do. You are trusting these people to look after these bunnies, and you should make sure they have everything they need. Make sure you know that their housing and everything is the correct size etc :)
Good Luck x

Totally agree with everything that has been advised on here. I think thought that you are giving them too much dry food. I have been advised that I should only give them a small amount twice per day and the rest should be hay. In addition to that I give them small amounts of veggies as a treat

I have re read your original post and I am unclear. Are you wanting to sell these bunnies, or simply find them loving homes?

Hi :wave:

Don't feel rude about insisting that your baby bunnies are kept happy and healthy - its their right and as "their human" its your responsibility to see they get it.

I agree it would be best to get a rescue to help and/or advise you.

A diet of 90% fresh hay and 10% high fibre pellets and veg is the recommended diet for buns.

Sawdust/woodshavings isn't ideal and can cause respiratory problems.

You need to insist that the buns are neutered at an appropriate age, this will help avoid "hormonal" issues as well as protect against uterine cancer in the females. Perhaps get some leaflets from your vets to pass on along with an idea of cost.

Give a care sheet and a few days supply of the pellets/museli they are used too - advise that any dietary changes are made VERY gradually.

Advise that the buns will need to be vaccinated against Myxi and VHD.

Tell the new owners about this forum where they will get lots of helpful advice.

Perhaps you could get some RWA leaflets to pass on.

I am new here, but it sounds like you are all the things i was told to be doing. Are u not allowed to post on here looking for homes? If not i would advertise them and list your requirements in the ad, then the people who contact you are more lightly to already be up to scratch as it were. You could always say in the ad you will home check, even if you don`t people are less lightly to be planning to keep the bunnies in a small hutch, ect. Also i don`t see anything wrong in doing the above and charging a fee to insure a good home and help towards your costs of rearing them, if you don`t feel happy charging then make the money a donation to a rescue? Hope that helps? :D

Rabbits can be posted under rabbits in need, but cannot be sold. The OP has not said whether she is wanting to sell them or simply find them a loving home.

Just curious, So could she ask for a donation towards the cost of rearing them or a donation to go to a rescue of her choice?

I think this thread need removing before getting heated and perhaps the OP could post her bunnies on Rabbit Rehome..free to good homes

No, its not you.

I think Honey bunny is worried about some people coming on here and becoming rude about not neutering bunnies and asking for money for the babies etc.... breeding, babies etc are all 'red alert' topics on here...

Keep an eye out for TRIFLE!!

Lol

Hi, im about to rehome my baby rabbits because unfortunatley i cant keep them all, just wanted to know whether i should sell them privately or give to a pet shop, im really put off by selling them privately because I dont want people to get them for xmas presents and not realise that they take quite a lot of looking after! But then the pet shops sell them to anyone! Does anyone know of any good places to advertise or am i being silly?? lol

Plus they are 8weeks old and we are finding it very difficult to sex them so that makes it difficult to sell because i cant tell people what sex they are.

Cheers

xkatx

:wave: Welcome, I think the best advice would be to do as above and liaise with a rescue in rehoming them after homechecks, I wouldn't charge the people just ask them to donate to the rescue that helps you. I am assuming you have separated the doe and buck now?

Back