• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to find the "perfect" rabbit hutch!

Clara11

Young Bun
Hi there,

As much as I hate to do it, my two indoor buns need to be moved out into the garden. I've been looking for a rabbit hutch but just can't seem to find one that I'm completely happy with.

Has anyone come across any good websites to have a look on? Or pet shops to go visit? I live in Essex (Dagenham/Romford area).

This is an idea of the type of style that I'm after:

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.com/natura-giant-rabbit-hutch-and-run-with-wheels-tr62333.html

http://www.the-rabbit-hutch-shop.co...x-4ft-rabbit-hutch-and-run-combo-tr62332.html

What I don't like about these is they have a pull out tray for easy cleaning, does that mean its a wire base that buns will have to stand on do you think? If so then I don't really want to go for that. I've heard its bad for buns feet, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, preferably, I'd like to be able to block of the run at night and shut them in.

Anyone come across something similar to these anywhere?

Hi, just bear in mind that if your buns have been indoor buns up until this point it's actually too cold to be able to just put them outdoors. They won't have built up a winter coat.
Are you able to give them some form of heating?

Hi there,

I have a hutch very similar to those from a different website (the hutch is called molly's mansion) and to be honest I wouldn't recommend them. The removal tray is wooden with a plastic top which is glued on, I have had to have this replaced 4 times due to the plastic cracking and breaking. Also the silly heart locks are rubbish and you will need to add your own extra locks for it to be secure. I have also had the stairs replacd once because it came away from the top hutch!

If I was to buy a new home for my bunnies I would definitely go for the avairy style that a lot of people have on here, they look a great size and more secure.

As a rescue we will not rehome to these types of accomodation, the bedroom area is too small and the overall space is not big enough for a pair of rabbits.

I will later sort out you some suppliers and also some photos of things we recommend for people to buy.

Yeah i know I am aware of that, and I'm sure I'd not feel so guilty about doing it if it were summer.

I've got one of those heat pads I'll put in there at night and make sure they've got plenty of bedding, plus they have each other to snuggle up to, but if you have any other ideas on how I can insulate it then I'd be grateful for any advice.

Their not confined to the house and they do go out in the garden, whatever the weather. Jack is even intent to sit out there in the rain silly boy!

Thats partly why I want one that I can shut off from the run at night so its a bit more protected from the elements.

But like I say, I'm open to any ideas on how I can keep it a bit warmer while they adjust.

I was a bit dubious about the size of the bedroom area on those ones, its really hard to tell from a picture what the sizing is like.

Hi Rhian33, just wanted to say I love your bunnies new dog kennel! This is exactly what I want for my bunnies.

Thank you. I would definitely recommend getting one over a hutch and run combo. It wasn't actually that much more than a decent hutch and run to be honest and the guy that built it was really good.

Why do they have to go out now? It really isn't healthy as they won't have a winter coat. In my opinion it's too cold for indoor bunnies to go out for more than 30/40 minutes, even in the day. Is it possible to have them indoors until spring?

I wouldn't be happy putting mine out now, especially as one is very young!

They aren't young rabbits, they are nearly 2. And no I'm not happy about it, but unfortunately needs must.

Its either that or rehome them :(

Like I said before, I am aware about the issue with their winter coats and wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to. What I've never had to do in the past though is have to move indoor buns to outdoors, which is why I asked for extra advice on keeping them warm and insulation while they adjust.

They aren't young rabbits, they are nearly 2. And no I'm not happy about it, but unfortunately needs must.

Its either that or rehome them :(

Like I said before, I am aware about the issue with their winter coats and wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to. What I've never had to do in the past though is have to move indoor buns to outdoors, which is why I asked for extra advice on keeping them warm and insulation while they adjust.

Couldn't you talk to whoever is making you, saying it's potentially very unhealthy for them? It's just a few months...you could show them this thread!

No-one is making me, I'm an adult living in my own house. I'm not going into the reasons behind having to make this decision.

The bottom line really is that I have to, so I just need help on picking out a hutch that I'm happy with for them so that they have the perfect living quarters that I think they deserve, and help/advice on making it as warm for them that I possible can.

Is there definitely not another way round the problem? It is so unkind to start moving them outdoors now I would honestly be inclined to see if you can find someone who can foster them over winter or rehome them from an indoor base, especially as it's not a decision that someone else is forcing on you :?

Otherwise, what sort of timescale are you looking at to move them out - are we talking a couple of days or a couple of weeks? Straight away I would turn the heating right down in your house so that they are less used to the warm - if at all possible can you turn the radiator/heat source off in the room that they live in, and/or move them to a room that is cooler to start off with. When they start adjusting 'down', you can start opening the window in that room so again they start adjusting.

The actual moving them outdoors part is tricky because no matter how well you insulate a hutch, the fact is you can't really get it warmer than the ambient non-draughty outside temperature which is why I think it's so vital that you make adjustments while they're inside the house.

My favourite hutches are from www.rehutches.com although they are very expensive and you will need to ask them to make each level 2ft high as they don't seem to do this as standard - and adjust any ramp length so that it keeps the same angle (I've seen ones in the past where the ramp has been too steep after they've made each level higher. I do think it's worth paying the extra though if you can, as the quality is much better.

If you go for a 2-tier or more hutch, I would make sure you have 2 'sleeping' areas. My nethies use one as a toilet and the other is stuffed with straw and hay. If you only have one sleeping area they will probably go to the loo in it. You can also get hutch covers which can help keep out the rain and draughts, or, I have screwed bits of perspex over the mesh part of my buns house to keep the whole inside cosy.

No-one is making me, I'm an adult living in my own house. I'm not going into the reasons behind having to make this decision.

The bottom line really is that I have to, so I just need help on picking out a hutch that I'm happy with for them so that they have the perfect living quarters that I think they deserve, and help/advice on making it as warm for them that I possible can.

If I insulted you then I apologise:)!! I just got the impression that you didn't want to move them. (The problem with the web!)

Just think very carefully about it...I'm sure you love them very much and won't want them to get ill!

I don't use it, but have a ryedale hutch www.rehutches.com . These are really solidly built and are amazing quality. I wouldn't go for anything smaller than 6x2x2 and they make runs to attach to it.

Alternatively a shed would be good! (I wouldn't know, but is it possible to attach a heater?...this would be really costly over winter...energy-wise)

They have an area in the kitchen, which has no radiator so its really not a warm room, in fact it gets very cold in their at night and in the winter but they are used to that, they have lived there since they were little.

They aren't in a warm room/house with the heating on, and the kitchen window is opened every night when I'm cooking. The backdoor is left open for them during the days aswell and they run in and out as they please.

Back