• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strawberry and Snowdrop

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Just tried them together after being parted overnight and Strawberry went for her again. Will try and put them in the carrier and in the car but I dont have a neutral room anymore as Bungle has been in the attic so dont want them anywhere near there.

Will have to have them in the bath tub as planned yesterday and then try and scrub the crate and bleach our room to get rid of any smells in there.

If I cant get them together here I will have to wait until they go to Fayes and bond them there. I thought they would go back together fairly easily like they did last time but its not happening.

I dont want them side by side for a while as Snow puts her chin through the bars to be near him and I dont want him biting her face.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

I hope he manages to calm down and accept her. If not, when I have bunnies side by side I have two rows of NIC barrier next to each other with the connectors touching - ie a 2" gap between the two barriers.

I really hope you can get them together again

I am not sure whether to try again today or whether to wait untill next weekend and try again then.

If I wait I am worried he will get more boistrous and used to being on his own, then again the time might help him to forget yesterday and accept her again.

I hate this and I know its all my fault.

Please don't blame yourself Rach - honestly buns are so unpredictable & if we didn't try to bond bunnies, we'd have lots of lonely ones.

I think I'd take them for a car ride today asap & then pop them back in the bathroom for a little while - but leave them in the carrier. Then try them back in their dog crate after you've neutralised it etc.

If you try this & it doesn't work, I'd get something to put over the bars so Strawberry can't bite Snowdrop again - some perspex or smaller mesh etc.

Good luck & keep us posted xx

I hate this and I know its all my fault.

It isn't. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'm so scared of it going pearshaped that I keep bottling it. At least you were brave enough to try. It's always hard to know the best approach. I arranged to send Tink and Rudy away for bonding and she escaped a few days before and visited Rudy (whilst I was out) and it appears to have been totally amicable - now that would have been my fault if it had gone bad! I actually worried about Tink having food aggression from her poor start in life but Rudy pinches food from her - they are so hard to predict!

When I saw pictures of Lola and Lucy through bars I thought there was no way Lola was going to accept Lucy but to see them now :love::love: Like somebody said on the bonding thread this is no indication of what they will be like together.

I'll be watching for progress, but don't blame yourself - bunnies are stressful enough at times without you taking the blame as well.

Thanks. Janice from arc has pm'd me and said its best to try and get them back together today rather than leave it so will have to give it another go. I am terrified he is going to go for her again though and I dont want to see my baby girl get hurt.

I might ask my mum if I can take them there for the afternoon and see if a change of environment helps them.

I dont think I can do it :(

Snowdrop is looking really sad now and I just dont think im brave enough to try again.

:(:(:(:(

I dont think I can do it :(

Snowdrop is looking really sad now and I just dont think im brave enough to try again.

:(:(:(:(

I think you are absolutely right not to try again today. It's not a question of 'being brave' its about taking into consideration the circumstances of Snowdrop's individual case-ie her cut lip and her chronic tummy problems.

I make no secret in my dislike of 'harsh' bonding methods, especially when one Rabbit has 'health issues'.
I have managed to rebond Buns who have fallen out, but only after a 'cooling off' period apart.

Dont feel presurised into doing something that you feel uncomfortable with. They are your Rabbits and you know them best. Also, it is you who would have to cope with any mishaps.

I think your best bet is a cooling off period for Strawb (AKA RENT-A THUG :roll: ) and Snowdrop. Then attempting a rebond in a week or two.
I know you are VERY upset about all this and the Buns will pick up on this too. You all need some chill-out time and then start again in 1-2 weeks :)

I think you are absolutely right not to try again today. It's not a question of 'being brave' its about taking into consideration the circumstances of Snowdrop's individual case-ie her cut lip and her chronic tummy problems.

I make no secret in my dislike of 'harsh' bonding methods, especially when one Rabbit has 'health issues'.
I have managed to rebond Buns who have fallen out, but only after a 'cooling off' period apart.

Dont feel presurised into doing something that you feel uncomfortable with. They are your Rabbits and you know them best. Also, it is you who would have to cope with any mishaps.

I think your best bet is a cooling off period for Strawb (AKA RENT-A THUG :roll: ) and Snowdrop. Then attempting a rebond in a week or two.
I know you are VERY upset about all this and the Buns will pick up on this too. You all need some chill-out time and then start again in 1-2 weeks :)

Thanks Jane. I am not going to try again today, it will be too much for Snowdrop to handle. I will see if it is possible to spilt the bunny room in two in a couple of days and have them living near each other but making sure it is totally safe for them both and there is a big gap between them.

I am unsure whether its best to rebond the pair and then try and add Bungle later or whether to just wait untill the 19th Dec when Faye was going to try and bond all three singles then?

I am unsure whether its best to rebond the pair and then try and add Bungle later or whether to just wait untill the 19th Dec when Faye was going to try and bond all three singles then?

I think that if they don't go together again easily, then it's best to do them as 3 as singles when I have them here... :)
If they won't go together now, then don't try any more - it's not going to do any good building up a history of bad encounters between Strawberry and Snowdrop before the big bond.
Bonding can be so stressful! I'm fine at it with other people's rabbits, but I turn into a nervous wreck when it's my own! :roll::lol:

Bonding can be so stressful! I'm fine at it with other people's rabbits, but I turn into a nervous wreck when it's my own! :roll::lol:

I'm exactly the same!!! I think its cos you have a bond with your own bunnies whereas with other peoples its different.My trio bond got delayed so often I now have a 4th bunny [who needs neutering soon]-so the bond has been put back yet again.:oops:

Thanks. We have left them apart today and will keep them this way untill they go to Fayes. Snowdrop is feeling a little sore at the minute and has managed to cut the side of her mouth somehow today while I have been out. She definately didnt have it this morning before and went out. Its only a small nick so doesnt need glueing or stiching and since she is on metacam and septrin for her chin I am sure she will be ok.

She hadnt moved all day from under my bed but gave her the next metacam dose a while ago and she seems brighter now and is eating some spring greens. Her chin wound hasnt reopened. Will get a picture of it when I next handle her, am trying to leave her to it tonight to keep her calm/

Thanks. We have left them apart today and will keep them this way untill they go to Fayes. Snowdrop is feeling a little sore at the minute and has managed to cut the side of her mouth somehow today while I have been out. She definately didnt have it this morning before and went out. Its only a small nick so doesnt need glueing or stiching and since she is on metacam and septrin for her chin I am sure she will be ok.

She hadnt moved all day from under my bed but gave her the next metacam dose a while ago and she seems brighter now and is eating some spring greens. Her chin wound hasnt reopened. Will get a picture of it when I next handle her, am trying to leave her to it tonight to keep her calm/

How's her tummy?! The worst thing now would be to stress her! Look after yourself as well as them!!:D

How's her tummy?! The worst thing now would be to stress her! Look after yourself as well as them!!:D

It seems fine. She hasnt had any dihorrea today. She usually gets her confidence from Strawberry so without him is looking lost. She just wants to lie under the sofa now.

I am feeling poorly still but have my neice stay with us at weekends and she wanted to go swimming so took her to try and take my mind of the bunnies.

It seems fine. She hasnt had any dihorrea today. She usually gets her confidence from Strawberry so without him is looking lost. She just wants to lie under the sofa now.

I am feeling poorly still but have my neice stay with us at weekends and she wanted to go swimming so took her to try and take my mind of the bunnies.

Could you put BunglE with Snowdrop and bond Strawberry in after? Or is that NOT a good idea?

Could you put BunglE with Snowdrop and bond Strawberry in after? Or is that NOT a good idea?

I wouldnt attempt any bond with Snowdrop at the minute. She has had enough stress for a while. I am going to wait until they all go to Fayes. Its only a month away so they will have to manage on their own untill then. I feel really bad for them but I cant risk any more injuries to her.

Back