• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft poo help please

cally73

Young Bun
Hi I got pumpkin 3 weeks ago from a breeder. Since getting her the soft poo is there every morning. Sometimes to a lesser degree. She is currently having an egg cup of Burgess Excel junior and dwarf, unlimited hay and then a small amount of veg. She is fine in herself running around, playing, weeing and everything normal. Any ideas? :?

Hi I got pumpkin 3 weeks ago from a breeder. Since getting her the soft poo is there every morning. Sometimes to a lesser degree. She is currently having an egg cup of Burgess Excel junior and dwarf, unlimited hay and then a small amount of veg. She is fine in herself running around, playing, weeing and everything normal. Any ideas? :?

I'm guessing she's really young. In which case she shouldn't be eating veggies yet, they can upset her tummy...as it looks like it has. Stop them and up her hay intake. When she's 3/4 months start introducing small amounts of veg, a little at a time.

Hope she is ok! Keep her fluids up!

I'm guessing she's really young. In which case she shouldn't be eating veggies yet, they can upset her tummy...as it looks like it has. Stop them and up her hay intake. When she's 3/4 months start introducing small amounts of veg, a little at a time.

Hope she is ok! Keep her fluids up!

Definitely agree with this but it could also be the pellets as some buns are sensitive to excel. Not to worry though as that is easily fixed too. You will know if it is the pellets when you stop the veg and the soft poo carries on. :wave:

Definitely agree with this but it could also be the pellets as some buns are sensitive to excel. Not to worry though as that is easily fixed too. You will know if it is the pellets when you stop the veg and the soft poo carries on. :wave:

Really?! I didn't know that! I've been told not to give it to Frenchie's as they can lose condition, but didn't know that!!

Did you change her food straight away when you got her. Food changes should occur over a week or two to get her tummy ready for it!

If she is 11 weeks then you may want to give her more pellets if she's not gaining weight quick enough but if normal I personally would stick with it. There are 2 camps on this issue, some say babies should have unlimited pellets until 4-6 months others say that you should start as you mean to go on with an eggcup full only as it gets them into good hay eating habits.

To Teddy's mum, Excel is known to be the cause of excess caecoptph production in many bunnies. I used to use it and it had that effect on 1 of mine but not the other. I now have a bun who gets a runny bum if Itry anything but SS mature.

To Teddy's mum, Excel is known to be the cause of excess caecoptph production in many bunnies. I used to use it and it had that effect on 1 of mine but not the other. I now have a bun who gets a runny bum if Itry anything but SS mature.

Yup, exactly the same for my Dudley! Daisy was fine with Excel but Dudley did massive soft poos, swaped to Science Selective after advice on here and he's been fine ever since!

Same with Dudley and Santa...and with Bobbi my previous foster bun. Excess caecatrophs (those sticky smelly poos) seem to be a very common problem wiht excel.

He is still very young but I would swap ideally to science selective (it's often easier to buy online than in shops but you can get it in some shops) or if you can't get that, at least swap onto the normal burgess or even the lite version. You will probably find that solves it :)

Same with Dudley and Santa...and with Bobbi my previous foster bun. Excess caecatrophs (those sticky smelly poos) seem to be a very common problem wiht excel.

He is still very young but I would swap ideally to science selective (it's often easier to buy online than in shops but you can get it in some shops) or if you can't get that, at least swap onto the normal burgess or even the lite version. You will probably find that solves it :)

So if I swapped should I introduce it gradually or just stop it and start the new?

If she is 11 weeks then you may want to give her more pellets if she's not gaining weight quick enough but if normal I personally would stick with it. There are 2 camps on this issue, some say babies should have unlimited pellets until 4-6 months others say that you should start as you mean to go on with an eggcup full only as it gets them into good hay eating habits.

Hmmmm....interesting! I'll tell my mum that she should change...although I usually buy her food anyway! :roll:
Hugo and Rose have excel, but I have noticed they don't eat all their caecotoph's! (....can anyone tell me how to spell it as I get really confuzzled and it always comes out differently!!:lol::lol:)

Back