• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being unkind, thoughts please

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
We have a bonded pair male female and a male on his own.

At the mo they are living in the same room but fenced off, we are planning bonding over Crimbo.

Thing is my single male is constantly running up and down the fenced area to get to my pair, I feel cruel. He is on his own and they are together and its all he does, is it upsetting him seeing them or is it best to let them have some connection.

My pair dont really bother with him, they do go over for a sniff and a poop every now and again. If they get too close he ends up nipping them through the bars and they run away.

I dont want my single bun to be unhappy ????

Donz

We have a bonded pair male female and a male on his own.

At the mo they are living in the same room but fenced off, we are planning bonding over Crimbo.

Thing is my single male is constantly running up and down the fenced area to get to my pair, I feel cruel. He is on his own and they are together and its all he does, is it upsetting him seeing them or is it best to let them have some connection.

My pair dont really bother with him, they do go over for a sniff and a poop every now and again. If they get too close he ends up nipping them through the bars and they run away.

I dont want my single bun to be unhappy ????

:wave: I have a similar prob at the mo, I have an entire buck and a un-spayed doe, husbun and wifey to be:lol: eventually that is, anyway she is outdoor and he is in. I let him out when she was securely in her fenced run and all he did was run round and round the shed trying to find a way in to get to her then he started pulling at the bars and in doing so I think caught her slightly - no damage she just jumped back and then sort of 'boxed' the bars with her paws - which took him aback and he seemed to settle, he isn't being aggressive I am sure he is just highly hormonal as she is. They did go nose to nose and she was chinning/scenting his nose, however, after about half and hour I brought him in as he was exhausted ! She had flopped and he had stopped but, for like 2 seconds and then off again. It honestly seemed to stress them both more so I have kept them apart completely today and they both seem more relaxed. I will let them see each other now and again but, not everyday I think. Is the single male neutered?

yer he was done last Friday, I dont like seeing him running up and down beside the bars, its like putting some fencing between me and my chocolate, surely it is frustrating him, as I said its not bothering my pair at all, in fact my boy from the pair is over there now having a wash in front of him and the little one is running up and down like a looney. Will my single calm down over next few weeks do you think ?

:wave: Yes he will hopefully, you can't bond yet as you probably know he will still be fertile for a few weeks. If he doesn't settle can you not put him anywhere else? How about a sheet over the partition fence to see if that settles him? It might help to swap them over aswell ie, them in his and vice versa. Hopefully some more experienced members will advise too x

yer he is fine, a lovely likkle boy, he was in local pet shop given up at 10month old cause girl had gone to uni, he had mattered fur and no hay, I just couldnt leave him there, he loves cuddles and even enjoys being picked up binkies and flops, its just when he sees the other 2 he runs up and down the bars, I really hope its not frustrating him to much

Is there somewhere else you can house your single bun until you are ready to bond all 3? Or maybe just find a spayed girlie for him and have two pairs instead? Threesomes are always tricky and not the best in the longterm in most cases.

You are lucky there has been no referred aggression so far, but I would be wary of this, it can flare up out of nowhere sometimes and you may end up with your bonded pair fighting just because your single bun is in sight. I would also be very cautious about him being able to nip through the bars - buns can cause quite a lot of damage by biting noses through bars - it would be best if the bars were too small for this altogether or if there was a gap between the fence, but to be honest, you might be safest keeping him out of sight in another room, it would hopefully calm him down a bit too.

I havent really got anywhere else to put him, I have laundry room with loads of space but he would be on his own most of the time. I have shot myslef int he foot really cause I just wanted to get him out of the nasty petshop and never thought long term. What if I cover the bars up so they cant see each other, they would be able to smell each other tho. Where he is now he gets lots of attention from me and my boyf as he is infront of the TV.

I havent really got anywhere else to put him, I have laundry room with loads of space but he would be on his own most of the time. I have shot myslef int he foot really cause I just wanted to get him out of the nasty petshop and never thought long term. What if I cover the bars up so they cant see each other, they would be able to smell each other tho. Where he is now he gets lots of attention from me and my boyf as he is infront of the TV.

How about..... a spayed girlie from a rescue that you get the rescue to bond for you perhaps if space is an issue and then the new happy couple can move into the laundry room together? He won't be lonely then :):wave:
I realise in the meantime he needs lots of attention - perhaps you could spend a bit of time in there with him whilst you look for a girlfriend for him? I'm just worried for you that a fight will break out with your bonded pair and then you end up with three single buns needing separate accomodation if they can't be rebonded successfully that's all. I realise a 4th bun is a lot to take on and shouldn't be done lightly - but am certain your new single boy would be over the moon with the right mate - after all bunny companionship is best for a bunny in the long run. I think it was lovely of you to rescue him by the way....i'm pleased you did and i'm sure he is too. :D

He's only just been neutered so he's acting like an entire male.Hopefully as his hormones subside he will calm done but as someone said look out for referred aggression/chasing etc in your bonded pair.

How about..... a spayed girlie from a rescue that you get the rescue to bond for you perhaps if space is an issue and then the new happy couple can move into the laundry room together? He won't be lonely then :):wave:
I realise in the meantime he needs lots of attention - perhaps you could spend a bit of time in there with him whilst you look for a girlfriend for him? I'm just worried for you that a fight will break out with your bonded pair and then you end up with three single buns needing separate accomodation if they can't be rebonded successfully that's all. I realise a 4th bun is a lot to take on and shouldn't be done lightly - but am certain your new single boy would be over the moon with the right mate - after all bunny companionship is best for a bunny in the long run. I think it was lovely of you to rescue him by the way....i'm pleased you did and i'm sure he is too. :D

:wave: Mmm hadn't thought of that - is that an option just in case your other two start fighting? I suppose then with the rescues help you might be able to try a 2 pair bonding eventually or keep them as two pairs, yes good on you saving him and getting him snipped x

Ha I would do this but getting the boyf to agree is a different story, he wants to try bond the 3 but if it was up to me id adopt another and have 2 pairs, one downstairs the other up, vet fees may be too much tho. Think I may have to let him try the trio bond then if that doesnt work hit him with my idea.

My pair are ok so far, he has been here 2 weeks now and no problems so fingers crossed it will stay this way, ill have a chat the boyf tomorrow about advise on where the single is at the mo.

Poor chap must feel like he is in a relationship with me and 3 buns !!!

Ha I would do this but getting the boyf to agree is a different story, he wants to try bond the 3 but if it was up to me id adopt another and have 2 pairs, one downstairs the other up, vet fees may be too much tho. Think I may have to let him try the trio bond then if that doesnt work hit him with my idea.

My pair are ok so far, he has been here 2 weeks now and no problems so fingers crossed it will stay this way, ill have a chat the boyf tomorrow about advise on where the single is at the mo.

Poor chap must feel like he is in a relationship with me and 3 buns !!!

:lol::lol::lol: He is !!

Back