• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating wood

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I don't know what's up with Ginger Bun, but ever since his dental he seems to have a craving for all things wood. He's won't leave cardboard alone, and is even scoffing his Care Fresh! His hazel sticks are also disappearing at an alarming rate! Is this ok? I mean, I don't want him to get a blockage or anything, and what if he swallows splinters? He's eating food just fine – in fact he's insatiable, which is great because he's starting to put some weight back. I'm a little worried about the wood business though. What do you guys suggest?

Hi,
I'm just wondering if he's still got slight gut "slow down" after his dental.
I don't remember Ginger as one of the "wood pulp eaters" before. Thumper & several other "stasis buns" do this when their gut is sluggish, but there are no other obvious symptoms. They are just trying to get their gut moving by increasing their dietary fiber.
Cardboard/paper/coniferous wood is inadvisable.

Fiberplex might help here, especially as we want Ginger to gain weight.

Fruit tree prunings & leaves,(except the plum /cherry family) & birch, hazel, twigs & leaves are fine. I'd restrict the willow if he's eating a lot (salicillic acid content)

Hope you little man gets well soon.

Hi, mine all seem to eat cardboard and wood, some days more than others. On occasions Dennis has chewed/eaten a good part of a cardboard box in a week (and he's only little). Its never done any of mine any harm. :D

Back