• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jemima and the STENCH

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
:wave: Jemima has hit puberty, and the smell is so bad

I clean her out, and within 5 minutes it stinks again.

She is weeing a different kind of wee, one that smells, and she is spraying it, not just weeing it.

She gets excited EVERY time she sees our feet/legs and madly circles us, deposits a smelly sort of hard poo (not same as normal poo) and sprays urine everywhere, grunting as she goes, its very cute behaviour (circling figure of 8/following/grunting) but the carpet needs cleaning!

The rabbit I had about 17 years ago was never spayed, but she never did this behaviour. However, she was not a single bun, she had 3 other males which she DID do this behaviour to. I guess I didnt notice the smell as she was outside bun and Jemima is inside bun.

I have booked her spay in for next Friday. very nervous about it as I have never had a female spayed before and one of my males that was castrated (17 years ago) lost his life from the anaesthetic. (they refused to spay my female)

Does anyone elses females demonstrate these behaviours? I dont want her cuteness to be lost after her spay!

She has also lost all sense of litter training. poos everywhere, and sprays urine in her night time cage

Will she go back to being a good, house trained girl after her op? Will she still follow us and grunt and circle us because that is so cute!

Any advice and stories of your own experiences would be good to hear!

She wont lose her cuteness, if anything she'll get cuter :)

My bunny Biscuit ws evil before we had her spayed, and as soon as her hormones died down, she became the most lovinmg rabbit I ha ever known.

Have you made sure that the vet she is booked in with is a very experienced rabbit vet??

If they are then there should be no problems. But please be SURE that they are.

They should NOT have asked you to starve her beforehand;
They should have lots of experience of doing this (several a week)
They should not have 'lost' any excpet in the case of buns that were ill or had an heart problem or other problem that would have been impossible to detect otherwise.

Ask them about their experience and if you have any doubts ring round other vets.

I think maybe I am over reacting?

When I called and spoke to the receiptionist I asked lots of questions. She asked me to hold and put me through directly to speak to a vet! :shock:

I asked how often they spay, what success rate is (she said they had never lost during spay) and she told me to keep feeding as normal before op.

The reason I am so nervous is because vets never used to spay when I had rabbits as a child. so its new to me!

Thanks for advice :wave:

I am glad to hear that she will not lose her cuteness! I cannot imagine her any cuter though! :love:

Back