• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Strawberry, Snowdrop and Bungle

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Well its about to begin! I want to wait for my OH to get home before I let them near each just incase the initial meeting needs 2 pairs of hands! I have got the bathroom ready though which is where we are going to do the initial meet as I am hoping the bathtub is a new place for them all! They will then move up to the attic room later on.

Just sat twiddling my thumbs now waiting! Might put them in bathroom with bit sectioned off to see their initial reaction between bars- anyone think this will help?

Oh good luck! I really hope it works it would be lovely to see Bungle settled with the other two :love:

I should have been bonding this week, but I chickened out again - I'm determined to start next week

Well its about to begin! I want to wait for my OH to get home before I let them near each just incase the initial meeting needs 2 pairs of hands! I have got the bathroom ready though which is where we are going to do the initial meet as I am hoping the bathtub is a new place for them all! They will then move up to the attic room later on.

Just sat twiddling my thumbs now waiting! Might put them in bathroom with bit sectioned off to see their initial reaction between bars- anyone think this will help?

I think it's a great idea. I always let them see each other through bars for a few days before bonding, but I have not bonded rabbits many times.:oops: The only advice I can give you is wear gardening gloves and maybe have a broom ready to separate them if necessary. (I hope you won't need to.) Good luck.:)

Well that was eventful!!!

I put them side by side through bars, they had a quick sniff and then Strawbs and Snow were at each other.

Exactly what I didnt want to happen but knew was possible.

Will wait for the OH to get home and have another try. If it isnt going to work then the weekend will be spent rebonding Strawbs and Snow and then I will see if I can get some help over Christmas bonding the three.

They are all separate for a min, should I put Strawbs and Snow back together while I wait for the OH to get home or just keep them all apart and put all 3 together later?

Well that was eventful!!!

I put them side by side through bars, they had a quick sniff and then Strawbs and Snow were at each other.

Exactly what I didnt want to happen but knew was possible.

Will wait for the OH to get home and have another try. If it isnt going to work then the weekend will be spent rebonding Strawbs and Snow and then I will see if I can get some help over Christmas bonding the three.

What kind of "at each other"?

If he was humping, chasing, even pulling fur, that is ok, but more isn't. It'll take a few meetings through bars and then they should calm down...unless it was fighting...

Sorry it started off badly!

Sound like refered agression - they are frustrated they can't get at Bungle so are taking it out on each other.

Don't let them meet through the bars...this will cause referred aggression as they can see but not get to each other. I would keep then away from each other until you are ready to introduce them. How they act through the bars doesn't reflect how they will act when together so don't worry too much

What kind of "at each other"?

If he was humping, chasing, even pulling fur, that is ok, but more isn't. It'll take a few meetings through bars and then they should calm down...unless it was fighting...

Sorry it started off badly!

They were trying to fight- rolling around. There was alot of fur pulled but no injuries. Not sure if he was just trying to chase but due to the lack of space they ended up rolling about or if they were actually meaning to cause harm.

Don't let them meet through the bars...this will cause referred aggression as they can see but not get to each other. I would keep then away from each other until you are ready to introduce them. How they act through the bars doesn't reflect how they will act when together so don't worry too much

I agree with this :)

Thanks for this Lou. They are all in separate carriers at the minute so will wait for the OH to come home then put them in the bath tub as planned. If they fight straight away then I dont have the guts so will try and get some rescue help over my Christmas break.

Sound like refered agression - they are frustrated they can't get at Bungle so are taking it out on each other.

Based on the above, which definitely sounds right (and note I have absolutely NO experience of bonding bunnies!) It sounds like Strawbs goes for Snowdrop because she's an easy target for him. I wonder if there is any merit in taking Snowdrop out initially and letting the boys get used to each other without having her to pick on? To an experienced bonder that might be the worst idea possible ... it might of cause depend on the character of the individuals as well

You mean out of sight or out of the house?

It depends on the buns. With refered agression some are ok once the other bun is out of sight but others just the smell is enough to set them off.

You mean out of sight or out of the house?

As far away from them as poss. If they can still smell him they'll kick off again

If you have some Olbas Oil or Vick dab some around Strawb and Snow's enclosure so they smell that and hopefully forget Bungle smells.

Back