• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit weight

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
Louie looks a bit thin to me so I just weighed him. He is 3lbs which is 1.36kg. Anyone know if this is about right??

He is 5.5 months old.

I will weigh Brian when I find some batteries..*why can you never find batteries:evil:* for my scales and let you know how much he weighs! :wave: he's about half a month older than Louis-bum!

Could be under weight, could be over weight. Every rabbit is an individual and on animals that are so small a few hundred grams either way makes a difference. If you're worried pop him to the vet and they'll be able to tell you the ideal weight for him and check him if he is underweight.

Tamsin

Oreo is 4 months - a dwarf lop and 3.6lbs (just weighed him) - he was 3lbs at 3 months...

nothing to say Louie is underweight though and as you say better to ask the vet - (Oreo might just be a fatty :oops: )

Yes I will definately ask the vet tonight.

I hadn't noticed before today but he just looks, well thin :? Perhaps he is having a growth spurt??

Yes I will definately ask the vet tonight.

I hadn't noticed before today but he just looks, well thin :? Perhaps he is having a growth spurt??

Yes im sure he is fine - has the vet weighed him before so she can tell if he has lost weight?

Ive started to weigh mine every month - (started with Sooty sitting on the scales - her favourite place) so i know if they have lost weight? at the mo my 2 are still babies though sooty has levelled out this month at 5.2lbs she is 8 months!

I actually think Oreo looks thin as well maybe they are just at that gangly growing stage and have lost the fluffy baby bunny look :lol:

He was weighed before he was neutered at 4 months, don't know how much he weighed then though :oops:

He does suddenly seem to have grown longggggg as well :lol::lol::lol:

He was weighed before he was neutered at 4 months, don't know how much he weighed then though :oops:

He does suddenly seem to have grown longggggg as well :lol::lol::lol:

I have dwarf lops and from reading things in the past I think the average weight for an adult is about 5lbs which is about 2.3kg...having said that mine came from stocky parents so have always been a bit above the average although not overweight! As others have said each bunny is individual and normally vets etc can do a "feel test" to check if they need to put a little on or lose a little :) Best wishes Louie for your VHD jab :)

I'm sure the vet will be able to put your mind at rest - it could be that he's having a little growth spurt, as you say, that's making him look a little leaner. :)

It's impossible to tell by weight and age alone, as all buns are so different, even the same breed. Alfie is much bigger than Bubbles but both are a healthy weight for their size.

Some dwarf lops are nauturally more gangly than others and never fill out much...my Ferris feels like an empty pj case when you pick her up! :lol:

The vet said he doesn't seem underweight but, if I'm concerned, to weigh him myself once a month.

He is sulking now behind the settee due to having his VHD :roll:

I weighed Brian in an earlier post where I was worried about Brian I guessed his weight was 1.9kg because back then I had no scales...now I have scales..and guess what I was wrong he weighs 1.38kg, so very close to Louis. Brian is 6months 1 week old, and supposed to be a dwarf lop too! :wave:

awwh glad to hear Louie isn't underweight!! I worry all the time about Noisette being underweight. She a fat porker now though :roll: :lol:

Back