• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental bun question/UD eating again :oD

Hugbut

Mama Doe
It seems I have tempted fate by saying yesterday that Phoebe An goes for 10-11 months between dentals :?
Last night she was very quiet, I offered her some excel which she refused, and her ears were cold :( I chased her round a little and rubbed her tummy, I also gave her some critical care & she did a few poops which seemed normal. Last night she wouldn't eat anything, including her favourite soft food, parsley & carrot tops so I'm thinking 'dental in the morning' however, this morning she is happily eating tops, banana and now...hay? I'm sure my vet told me that hay is the first thing they stop eating when they need a dental - is that right? I am really hoping that last night she was just feeling a bit 'off' she ate all her hay & nuggets yesterday morning - she has the occasional day where she barely eats a thing, then is completely fine the next day. I think it will be off to the vets for a check up this morning, but I was just wondering about the hay, as usually she won't touch it if her teeth need done :?

:wave:

ETA: She has just eaten a couple of excel pellets :?

Last edited:
diet/teeth

It seems I have tempted fate by saying yesterday that Phoebe An goes for 10-11 months between dentals :?
Last night she was very quiet, I offered her some excel which she refused, and her ears were cold :( I chased her round a little and rubbed her tummy, I also gave her some critical care & she did a few poops which seemed normal. Last night she wouldn't eat anything, including her favourite soft food, parsley & carrot tops so I'm thinking 'dental in the morning' however, this morning she is happily eating tops, banana and now...hay? I'm sure my vet told me that hay is the first thing they stop eating when they need a dental - is that right? I am really hoping that last night she was just feeling a bit 'off' she ate all her hay & nuggets yesterday morning - she has the occasional day where she barely eats a thing, then is completely fine the next day. I think it will be off to the vets for a check up this morning, but I was just wondering about the hay, as usually she won't touch it if her teeth need done :?

fiber consitutes 70% of the diet,,so yes-it would seem the first thing not eaten...fruit tree branches/twigs are also good for teeth and gi tract..rabbits are consumate groomers and chewers so constantly growing teeth require lots of chewing maintenance.ie timothy/orchard grass(hay-fiber)-and quality low fat pellets -handful daily for vitamins and nutrition requirements and gi tract flora...sincerely james waller

She could have just had a touch of gas which you relieved by massaging her tummy and getting her to hop around and eat something. I would get her teeth checked though yes if this has happend a few times now... it could be spontaneous gas episodes reoccuring or it could be a sign of dental issues. Best to rule the dental issues out with her history. I'm glad she is eating now. :)

She could have just had a touch of gas which you relieved by massaging her tummy and getting her to hop around and eat something. I would get her teeth checked though yes if this has happend a few times now... it could be spontaneous gas episodes reoccuring or it could be a sign of dental issues. Best to rule the dental issues out with her history. I'm glad she is eating now. :)

:wave: She hasn't eaten anymore nuggets but has deffinately been eating small amounts of hay so I'm a bit puzzled. I didn't think of gas, perhaps that's what's wrong - she is having a good run round now (also something she wouldn't be doing if it was her teeth) she's been chewing on a willow stick and she has done some more poops. She had her teeth checked just over a month ago & they were fine :? I think we'll have to visit the vet...she is gonna love me :lol:

Phoebe An has been eating more throughout the day - near normal amounts of nuggets & some fresh. I don't think it's her teeth afterall as she's been eating apple wood twigs, hay and nuggets. She has been hopping round loads and seems to be acting her usual self. Fingers crossed it was just a gassy tummy :)
Her new pink vetbed arrived this morning, so that might've cheered her up ;)

Photo-00343.jpg

Phoebe An has been eating more throughout the day - near normal amounts of nuggets & some fresh. I don't think it's her teeth afterall as she's been eating apple wood twigs, hay and nuggets. She has been hopping round loads and seems to be acting her usual self. Fingers crossed it was just a gassy tummy :)
Her new pink vetbed arrived this morning, so that might've cheered her up ;)

Photo-00343.jpg

Her new vet bed is lovely! I just got a pink one in the post last week too!! :wave: Except that my black and white dutchie is a boy :shock::oops::lol: But he does have a couple of pink blankets already and doesn't seem to mind! :D
I'm so pleased to hear she is feeling better and able to eat a variety of foods, it did sound like gas to me the fact it was relieved after you rubbed her tum. My dutchie boy gets these episodes and sometimes it is possible to relieve it this way if you are lucky and catch it early. I do have a female bun too btw - I wouldn't subject him to pink blankets if it was just him! :lol:

ETA I would just keep a close eye on her eating though just incase it is a gut issue which has been kept at bay (touch of ileus) or incase there are dental associations there too. So pleased she's ok now though, she's very pretty :love:

Her new vet bed is lovely! I just got a pink one in the post last week too!! :wave: Except that my black and white dutchie is a boy :shock::oops::lol: But he does have a couple of pink blankets already and doesn't seem to mind! :D
I'm so pleased to hear she is feeling better and able to eat a variety of foods, it did sound like gas to me the fact it was relieved after you rubbed her tum. My dutchie boy gets these episodes and sometimes it is possible to relieve it this way if you are lucky and catch it early. I do have a female bun too btw - I wouldn't subject him to pink blankets if it was just him! :lol:

ETA I would just keep a close eye on her eating though just incase it is a gut issue which has been kept at bay (touch of ileus) or incase there are dental associations there too. So pleased she's ok now though, she's very pretty :love:

:lol:

Thank you, she will be very pleased you said she's pretty!
I lost my boy recently, otherwise he'dve had to endure the pink vetbed too, bless him :lol: She is eating normally this morning (like a horse :roll:) I'm so relieved!

Thank you for your help :wave:

Photo-0053_e1.jpg

Back