• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor wooden pen?

If you use a plastic litter tray inside it then there shouldn't be a problem.

If they are not litter trained then using something extremely absorbent (we use carefresh) on top of newspaper should absorb the wee.

I understand that if your rabbit sprays wee up a lot then it could be because they aren't neutered?? (someone with more knowledge could answer this one)

:)

Ok thanks. She doesn`t spray and i plan to get her spayed asap in the new year. She does use her litter tray for wee`s most of the time. And i plan to use lino on the base

If you are building a pen, I would recommend the wire mesh panels they sell at Wickes DIY store for around £2. They are much easier than buying a roll of wire mesh and cutting it.

I built several wooden frames and stapled these wire panels on. I have about 6 panels - they are held together with thick velcro straps, which means you can change the shape of them or make smaller pens if you wish. I use our pen in the yard next to the hutch - we can fasten one panel to the open hutch door with a velcro strap so the rabbits can go in and out as they wish. When it's dry I move it onto the grass for a few hours a day.

At night we fasten one large panel across the front of the hutch to make it more fox-proof. Obviously, there is no roof on it so they are only in the pen when I am in the house, but it has worked really well so far. When the bunnies fell out and had to be re-bonded it was very useful to be able to make two small pens. Plus, you can take the pen apart and put all the panels flat for storage. Total cost was only about £20.

This is the link. They do them at B and Q too, but they cost a bit more. Hope this helps.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/bin/venda?e...e_D&C=&ARG_DEFAULTOP=AND&searchex=wire+panels

They don't wee on the wood at all as far as I can tell and don't even bother chewing it.

That was my plan to use the wire mes panels :D
Last time i built an enclosure for a yemens chamelion. I used ready made frames with willow on and then stapled the mesh panels on the inside.

Back