• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing a toe.

BevBunny

Mama Doe
:( I noticed Lavender being a bit cautious with one of her back feet this morning, took a step closer and noticed one of her nails/toes seemed to be stickign out at an odd angle. I didn't even bother having a closer look, the fact she showed it hurt is enough, so off we went to the vet this afternoon.

She seems to have almost broken off the end of her toe just below the base of the claw. Its open on top, but not on the bottom, and it definitely looks like she has somehow snapped it downwards.I haven't a clue how she did it! Poor baby, no wonder she was being a bit gentle with it! The vet cleaned it up plus he gave her pain killer and antibiotics injections. She's going back tomorrow so the vet can have a proper look under anaesthetic, and see what he can do. We're both assuming it'll mean amputating at least part of her toe. :(

Poor Lavender, she's not happy, shes sat upstairs in her cardboard house looking grumpy, she wouldn't even come out for her dinner - so I sat and fed it to her through the window. :lol: I'm going to put her in an old cage overnight to restrict her space, and then its ready for tomorrow too.

So, has anyone else had similar experiences with their buns? I assume she'll be ok with one less toe?!

Last edited:
I don't have any personal experience, but I doubt it will slow her down once she's feeling better :)

Libby degloved her toe.
It has healed but the toe died and fell off :shock:
She had analgesia and abx but as she's a high GA risk we wanted to avoid surgery unless as a last resort.

001-34.jpg

Libby has not noticed the loss of her toe :)

Libby degloved her toe.
It has healed but the toe died and fell off :shock:
She had analgesia and abx but as she's a high GA risk we wanted to avoid surgery unless as a last resort.

001-34.jpg

Libby has not noticed the loss of her toe :)

:shock::shock::shock::shock:!!! That's put me off my grapes!! Poor Libby!

Good luck with Lavender!

Jane - that picture has really helped me understand what the vet had been explaining. He said that rabbits bones and claws were integral as they needed to be strong for digging etc. He said that he thought she had somehow snapped it off just above the claw 'joint'.

I have just dropped her off at the vets, keeping all things crossed for her. She's been through the wars lately - she lost her life long friend (she's 5) 2 months ago and has been very miserable, then we got her a new friend and I think that was quite stressful for her. :(

Its good to know that Libby recovered fully and hasn't noticed her missing toe. :)

Hiya Bev :wave:

I was at the vet's this morning and we chatted about Lavendar's toe too!
Matt and John know us and our buns :lol:

Seems that our old Binksy is on his last legs....:cry:
But a story for a separate thread...

Lee xx

Back