• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stray Rabbit - Toronto

...so one of our neighbours, admittedly let their rabbit go...many in the area have complained about this stray rabbit eating their vegetables, etc...so some are out for blood! I have been trying to provide a place of safety for stray rabbit by feeding it, visiting it regularly when i can. Animal Services could not catch the rabbit and offered that if we do manage to snag it, to call them at that point. Would the rabbit be happier in a cage in a shelter somewhere or should i just leave it to adjust to surviving a frigid Canadian winter of ice, snow
and sub-zero temps?

follow link for video of said rabbit - what breed is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5_ISrFuT0

I would definitely catch her and do what you must. To get such a close up video it shouldn't be too hard to get her as she looks friendly. Don't let her stay as a stray...you never know what might happen to her!!

I agree with Teddy's Mummy; please try to catch her, as she won't survive out there. If the weather doesn't kill her, the predators will. As far as her breed is concerned, she looks like an English to me. Good luck catching her.

to catch a rabbit?

i did try to catch the rabbit by lowering a cage over it/and it was nearly injured running away...it is quite wary of people and it will only come near if one has food...i've been told by a number of people that it will be able to survive in the cold...we do have wild rabbits here that i have seen in the winter...and i have seen this rabbit attempt to burrow in our soil...will it not adapt?

i did try to catch the rabbit by lowering a cage over it/and it was nearly injured running away...it is quite wary of people and it will only come near if one has food...i've been told by a number of people that it will be able to survive in the cold...we do have wild rabbits here that i have seen in the winter...and i have seen this rabbit attempt to burrow in our soil...will it not adapt?

No, i dont think it will adapt, really the best thing would be to catch this bunster.

I really hope you manage to catch the stray bunny! She looks beautiful.

If the rabbit has spent winters outside before she may be ok with the cold aspect but she will probably have trouble finding food, and even though you've been feeding her that probably isn't enough. Also, with her colouring she isn't camouflaged at all (like wild bunnies) and would be a really easy target for predators.

your neighbours are morons
please catch her and I say her because I think I saw a dew lap

she looks beautiful

if she isnt caughht she wont have a very nice life

venice

Back