• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT Help!

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Just had to take Ruby to the vet! I'd left the stair gate open and Ted came in the room whilst I wasn't looking and attacked her!! I couldn't get him to let go!!! She screamed :(:(:(!!! He took a chunk out of her back.

The wound isn't too bad, the vet glued it. I'm not sure she had a clue though! She was all for putting her under anaesthetic and stitching it. She also *gulp* gave her antibiotics....surely Ruby is too young for them (71/2 weeks old)? I am in shock so didn't think until afterwards!! I have bio lapis (which I had to ask for) and she gave her a shot of metacam.

Ruby is OK in herself and is currently going between flopping and washing herself. She wasn't scared at the vet.

I'm worried about her going into shock, or getting diarrhoea! She's too young to get a tummy problem!!

I feel so guilty as I should have shut the gate to upstairs and the door to my room.

This just confirms to me that Teddy is ill as some of you will remember Pickle, the harli girl, that my cat brought in. Teddy met her, humped a bit and then accepted her.

sorry i can really help with medical things but just wanted to send you my love :love:

Dont blame yourself - accidents happen and hopefully she will be fine..Must have been a horrible thing to watch :cry:

Love to you, Teddy and Ruby :love:

:shock:

Oh my gosh, poor Ruby!!

(How come you got her so early, thought buns shouldnt leave mummy til after 8 weeks??)

Hope she gets well soon, now you have two poorly buns :(

Hope it doesnt affect future bonding :(

Try not to worry, Ruby is all stitched up and buns carry a lot of bacteria in their saliva so it was probably sensible to give her some precautionary antibiotics rather than risk an infected bite, she has had pain relief and i'm sure if you just keep a close eye on her, try to encourage her to eat lots of tasty hay and keep her warm and calm she will be just fine :):wave:

Now go and have a nice sweet cup of tea for the shock and honestly try not to worry, these things happen, we all make mistakes....I dropped a small jar on Poppy's head and she had a mild concussion and later became impacted - accidents happen.

How Teddy responds to one strange bun may not be the same way he responds to another, every bun is different, and it may be that if he is unwell he is on the defensive.
I'm sure Ruby will be ok. :) and hope Teddy has a successful vet trip too. x

Aww hun I am so sorry to hear this, for Ruby.
please do not blame yourself these things do happen and it is not your fault.

:shock:

Oh my gosh, poor Ruby!!

(How come you got her so early, thought buns shouldnt leave mummy til after 8 weeks??)

Hope she gets well soon, now you have two poorly buns :(

Hope it doesnt affect future bonding :(

Usually not, but she was nearly a week late and so was born with downy fur and claws. She met the target and K assured me she was ready. She won't let them go unless she's sure!!!

I'm not doing well with my buns am I?! Ruby keeps hopping up to me and sitting on me. She's washing, flopping and chewing, so hopefully she'll be ok

...she JUST did a binky!

I'd get some Fibreplex to give her aswell as the Bio Lapis.

What abx did the Vet give ?

She gave her baytril. and gave me some to give her at home. Should I give it to her? She's so young. I'm going to my vet tomorrow so will take her too.

She said something about fibreplex...but I don't think she gave her any. I'm still in shock, and shaking rather badly, so my memory isn't working...sorry!! I can ask for some tomorrow.

Aww, try not to worry too much. I am sure you are more stressed than she is.... after Rimmi ripped his nail off the other night I felt so guilty and upset :( He didnt scream but it must've really hurt him because he didnt want me to hold him and he got really stressed, he then went a bit floppy and I thought it had been too much for him. I havent got over it yet... he totally has though, hes walking on his paw now etc

I am sure all will be super once both the buns are well, vibes to all 3 of you ! xx

Poor you, it must've been awful to watch. I reckon she'll be fine with your care - you're prob more stressed out by it than she is. This happened to me the other day actually - I left my bedroom door open where Tommy & Lucy live, forgetting I'd let Tilly & Fester have a run around the landing....... Tommy went straight for my lovely Tilly (who gets breathing problems if excited/stressed due to her past myxi). I went into complete panic mode - my OH came to the rescue ...... Tilly was fine but I was hyperventilating! :lol: xx

oh noes! :cry: I hope you, roobs and ted are ok! Please don't blame yourself.
I don't know much about baby buns I'm afraid, so can't help too much. :(

I'll never forget when me and O/H were trimming Max's claws and Max kicked and you guessed it, cut too low on his nail, me and Jay were screaming at each other, the sofa had puddles of blood and the cats were scared poopless due to our uproar, Lola just sat there completely unaware :shock:. We ended up going to the emergency vet and it cost £74.00, of course if it ever happened again we know not to worry, and always have cornflour in stock! We still blame each other to this day with what happened with Max!

Please look after yourself Ali, hope Oli is ok! Hugs from me and the buns! :love:

Oh my God! How awful! I don't know what to say as I'm not a bunny health expert, but poor Ruby! I'm familiar with it (not taking a chunk out, but biting from the male to the female..) because Ralph bites my Ruby whenever they're together and it's so upsetting. Naughty Teddy in disgrace!

My Ruby had an accident at the vets where she jumped off the table, down the corridor then got chased by a dog :shock:

When she got home she looked really shocked and wasn't doing much, so I gave her some fibreplex and it just made her more perky and hungry and happy. Deffo think it's a good idea to try that.

Please don't blame yourself and stop worrying about Ruby. If she's eating, flopping, washing herself, you have nothing to worry about. Take care of yourself, Ali. Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes for both your bunsters, although I don't think that Tedster deserves any.:no:

Please don't blame yourself and stop worrying about Ruby. If she's eating, flopping, washing herself, you have nothing to worry about. Take care of yourself, Ali. Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes for both your bunsters, although I don't think that Tedster deserves any.:no:

It just proves to me that there is something REALLY not right with him!!

I was stroking him just now, as he was floperated and whilst his back has lost muscle, his tummy is quite big and round....doesn't look good for his liver does it?! (K thinks all the signs are leaning towards this.)

Please don't worry and draw any conclusions. Wait to see what the vet says tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes for Teddy xx

Please don't worry and draw any conclusions. Wait to see what the vet says tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes for Teddy xx

In that case I should go to bed.....I'm worrying far too much!

I'm goign to put Ted to bed and then give Ruby a good night cuddle then bed!!

Thank you everyone! It's just one thing after the other with me at the moment!!

Back