• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artificial Warrens

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Right, I had a strange thought a few minutes ago.
You know those green tube tunnels for rabbits? What if you connected them all to a kind of run and bury it underground, or even just cover it with loads of dirt?

It would be hard to get them out, but don't you think they would like it? :lol:

That will be all :)

You could always make a removable one perhaps? Dig a hole, insert the warrens and instead of putting the dirt back, have a big sheet of ply with some astro turf on top?
I know of someone who's let their rabbit make real warrens in their garden but personally I'd be worried if they went in there and refused to come out and got too cold/wet/got stasis or something :?

Someone on here connects 2 runs with a tunnel under the path. Can't remember who, but I'm so wanting to do it:oops::lol:

Someone on here connects 2 runs with a tunnel under the path. Can't remember who

What you mean like this? :lol:

NewbunnyrunAug09001.jpg

And here's Storm just popping out of the tunnel entrance

NewbunnyrunAug09003.jpg

Both Storm and Mallow love the tunnel and often sit near the entrance in the hutch or run, ready to run through it :D

I'm not sure if the green tubing would be strong enough though

Probably not. I got some really strong tunnelling when they were doing drainage works near me. I just asked if I could have one of the off-cuts and they let me have enough to join the hutch and run. Keep an eye out for any workman putting new drainage in and ask them if you can have some. Alternatively have a look on ebay for 160mm drainage pipe, that will be wide enough for most buns to get through.

"Simon" in Leicestershire dug out a pit, lined it with concrete & let his buns build their own warren. He's very willing to talk about how he did it.
There is a problem about getting the buns out for medication though.

I am also planning underground accommodation, because it is so much cooler & less stressful for buns in the current summer heat. It's the only way I can think of to cool down the air they breath, as the best way to keep them cool.

For tunnels drain pipes (for underground use) & roughened inside, are not overly expensive. A double right angle bend should keep foxes out. I had been considering building an underground hutch, well insulated, with a removable roof on the surface.

Thanks for the thread W1ll. If folks click on Simon's siggy link you can see his buns using the warren.

Back