• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it true?

I don't think it's true...but I'm not sure, have never risked it...hmm I'm really not much help am I? :lol:

Some poisonous plants taste bad so I imagine to a rabbit may smell bad but they wouldn't just be able to recognise a plant and know it was poisonous. If they ate it and it blistered their mouth or made them ill they might learn it was bad but only if they made the association.

That bunnies can sense a posionous plant and wont eat it? Or is that a load of rubbish and they will eat anything :lol:

The folks at my local pet shop say that but I've heard of bunnies that have eaten various plants that are poisonous so obviously some bunnies don't have this ability.

I used to give my bunnies apple cores not knowing that the pips were poisonous and they'd eat the core and leave a pile of pips :love: I think there is some truth in it but I certainly wouldn't be willing to risk it :?

By the way there is no reason in my asking :lol: just saw a thread about posionous plants... and i remember hearing somewhere years ago that bunnies have the ability to sense the posion or something.
Id never risk it with my bunnies though :D

Wild rabbits know which plants to avoid, but with domestic rabbits and house plants they would never naturally encounter, I wouldn't count on it!

I would be inclined to agree with Tamsin that it is probably something to do with association, but I would guess this applies more to wild buns who come into contact with wild plants on a more frequent basis. A domestic bun probably wont of experienced all there is to offer so I don't see how they could know it was bad for them.

By the same token I also read that some people believe wild animals learn to self medicate themselves using plants.

Back