• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental buns

Flynn varies, he used to be every 6 months, but now its every 3 months, sometimes sooner. It is upsetting because Flynn will "tolerate" and show no signs of having spurs, then all of a sudden there is drool, loss of appetite and awful fur, it happens over night.

Fudge is my dental bun she had to have a dental every 6weeks. But her last dental was in March this year and she had a dental today so 7months is bloody great :D

She still doesnt eat much hay but she gets half a bag of dried plantain and half a bag of coltsfoot or other herby stuff each day since her last dental and i really believe it helped :D

How is Jazzy?
x

Mary was every 4-6 weeks so I decided it needed a drastic change to his diet. Very few pellets (I offered a tiny bit of porridge alongside which maintained his weight well), then loads of hays of different types to interest him. He had no incisors either so I chopped up hay and offered the chopped timothy hay that Bunny Basics used to do, and small amounts of Readigrass/similar. I also bought the timothy hay cubes (like alfalfa hay) from Bunnybasics for the toothy buns and he had the broken up bits from the bottom of the bag (when BB sold bags of broken ones, it was like Christmas had come early for him :lol:). So loads of hays of different types and sizes as the main part of the diet.
He also had fresh hay picked (I'd leave it down for an hour then take it away and replace with fresh), and all his veg was of the (mostly dark) green leafy type - romaine lettuce cut into half inch wide, but long strips, curly kale, carrot tops, cauliflower leaves etc. with a tiny bit of 'solid' veg (carrot, brocolli etc) mixed in as a treat, and even these were cut into as long a piece as I could (so sliced into strips not squares). He also got various herbs left in long strips, basically encouraging the natural grinding way of eating, instead of chomping down on pellets.
Went from showing signs of spurs from 4 weeks, to not needing a dental in 2-3 months!

I have been very fortunate with Phoebe An - she is managing to go 10-11 months between dentals *touches wood* but once her teeth get painful, that's it, it's very sudden without warning & she's a very poorly girl until they get fixed.

:wave:

The best Thumper has managed is 6 weeks but during summer it was 4 weeks. The procedure used, was trimming the spurs level.
He was a poor hay eater, & reluctant to drink water.

At the last dental the (lower) molar spurs were taken back to gum level. Touch wood he is doing well at 6 weeks, learned that he has to drink water, & immediately started to eat hay like a "madbun".

Toby usually has his dentals every 6 weeks but his last one he had to have done after 5 weeks. He's 5.5 years old & has been having dentals since he was about 9 months old.

His problems are the result of inbreeding not bad diet. He loves his Western Timothy Hay & gets fresh veg & just a small handfull of Burgess Excell.

Crystal started with needing dentals every 6-8 weeks however now shes manageing to go 4-6 months now :D but i think thats got something to do with the fact she now eats hay lol

i do get scared now though because shes coming on 5 now and i dont know how long it will be before she takes a bad turn under aneasthetic :(

Back