• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken tail? U/D p4

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Checking over all my girls tonight after Shadow has managed to get a nasty nip to the face, and to clip nails, and i noticed Moonshine's tail is at a 70 degree angle?

I ran my fingers slowly down it, and she flinched as i got to the "bent" part.

Do you think it could be broken?

If so, is there anything she needs apart from painkillers as i assume nothing can be done with the actual tail?

She is still eating/drinking and otherwise seems fine.

I think all of this is due to Autumn's passing. Shadow never seemed that bothered about her, while Moonshine and Scraggles doted on her, nursing her by cleaning her eyes, keeping her company.

Shadow i think, has been aggrivating them while they are grieving, and so has ended up with a bite to the face. Either from Moon or Scrags.

Storm has started the odd chasing as well/

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be broken yes. I would get a vet to take a look asap just in case there are any complications. She will definitely need pain relief. I doubt a tail can be reset though :?
I had a tail-less bun as a child, it snapped clean off when I stood on it by accident and she hopped off (why children should not be unsupervised with buns :() she coped fine without her tail though - wish we had had pain relief in those days however as it must have been very sore :(!

Sounds like it could be broken yes. I would get a vet to take a look asap just in case there are any complications. She will definitely need pain relief. I doubt a tail can be reset though :?
I had a tail-less bun as a child, it snapped clean off when I stood on it by accident and she hopped off (why children should not be unsupervised with buns :() she coped fine without her tail though - wish we had had pain relief in those days however as it must have been very sore :(!

ETA actually on 2nd thoughts I suppose it could be soft tissue or ligament damage from knocking it making it brusied/inflammed and difficult to hold up at the correct angle?

Went to the vets and they said two options.

See how she gets on as she may be fine with it to stay like that. Though if there is no blood supply, it will start to go necrotic and need amputating.

Or

Book her in to potentially "fix" it or amputate it.

Poor little darling. I hope the painkillers are working for her.
And I hope you are able to make a decision one way or the other, though neither sounds particularly good :?:(

She is booked in to have it amputated on Tuesday as they are fully booked tomorrow and don't operate unless emergency on the weekend/monday :(

It is not fully broken, but badly dislocated/lacerated (sp).

They are only removing from the kink in her tail (Just under 1/2 way down) but it is going to be so wierd as she normally wags her tail when happy or in surprise!!

Good luck with this :wave:

My best friend/neighbour when I was growing up inherited a bun without a tail...we never knew how she became tail-less but she managed fine :) it made no difference except we could never tell when she was taking a pee as she didn't have a tail to lift up (which resulted in some ....... unfortunate 'accidents' on her mum's best patio slabs... :oops: )

Back