• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neuter tomorrow! eek! ++he is back! and OK

beki

Mama Doe
Reggie is being neutered tomorrow, poor baby! got to get him in at 9.20. I am then at work all day til 5.45, hope he will be ok at the vets til after 6. Im off friday thought to look after him.

Ruby was spayed a couple of months back so i think i know what to look out for with eating and poos etc, but am i right in beliveing a male may recover faster than a female? also how long should i keep him in for? over the weekend at lest, i was thinking.

Last edited:
Hi
My Cookie was neuetered about 7 weeks ago. He was done on the Tuesday morning ( my vet always keeps them for at least 24 hours to ensure they eat, poo and wee ok) then he came home on the Wednesday night. He was fine like nothing had been done. Hopping about as normal. Only if you looked underneath him, you knew he'd definatlely been done. Think if you bring him home tomorrow, you may have to keep him in the warm for a day or two but your vet should inform you on this. BEST OF LUCK!!!! :wave:

Reggie is being neutered tomorrow, poor baby! got to get him in at 9.20. I am then at work all day til 5.45, hope he will be ok at the vets til after 6. Im off friday thought to look after him.

Ruby was spayed a couple of months back so i think i know what to look out for with eating and poos etc, but am i right in beliveing a male may recover faster than a female? also how long should i keep him in for? over the weekend at lest, i was thinking.

Sending loads of vibes for tomorrow - I've found boys normally recover quicker, because it's not such an intrusive operation. I'll be thinking of you:D

Good luck! :wave: My Brian was neutered on the 17th October and he bounced back the same day, ate a brussel sprout and spring greens immediately after coming round from the op! :shock:

I'm sure all will be fine! :)

thanks everyone! i will be very pleased if he recovers quickly, ruby didn't eat for about 24 hours and i was so worried until she pooed!

Lorenzo was done earlier this week! He is totally fine and his check up yesterday went really well.

I kept him in the kitchen without the heating on the night after the operation then I put him outside in his 'night time' hutch (it is a 2 tier one but I have only given him the upstairs so he doesn't run around and do any damage!)

He has been 'confined' for a couple of days and I asked the vet nurse yesterday whether I could put him in his 'big daytime run and hutch set-up' today. She said that all is going well with his healing but recommends that he has another couple of days in his hutch.

Provided that all is still going well on Saturday I am going to put him in his run but am going to take out his toys for a couple of days so he doesn't get tempted to jump over his tunnels etc that he usually does!

The nurse said it is best to restrict their movement for a few days after the op because otherwise the operation site can fill with fluid.

I found him really drowzy the first night and I was sooooo worried (until he did a poo and started eating!!) He kept lying really still and not moving for ages! After that he suddenly seemed to wake up and started kicking his hay around and munching on carrot! I gave him all of his fave foods to try and get him to eat again! I was worried that he didn't drink anything for about 24 hours after his op but as he is really good at taking his post-op medicine I syringed a bit of water into his mouth and also put some water on his broccoli (the florets absorbed it!) and he ate that. He did feel very sorry for himself for a couple of days but now he is totally back to normal!

got reggie back! we were late picking him up from the vets. The usual 15 mins from work to the vets took almost an hour! i was in the acr panicking!

anyways, he is quite bright and bouncy for him (whihc isn't really very bouncy but he seems pretty normal). He has had some kale and a drink and his having a lie down. No poos yet, but i am watching for them.

I have the joy of giving him some fibreplex later. I had an awful time giving it to ruby, i just hope reggie is better at taking it.

Back