• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy is poorly

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Please Help if you can!!!

I've already posted about the Tedster losing weight. I'm getting more and more worried about him as the days go on.

He's still eating, drinking and pooing normally. The other day I picked him up, gave him a cuddle, stroked his tummy and he went MENTAL and pretty much attacked me. I put him down and felt his tummy, which he didn't show any discomfort to, but he must have been in loads of pain to kick me like that. He's normally so laid back and cuddly. yesterday he had a gurgly tummy, but that has stopped. It was audible when he was on the floor and I was on the sofa. I didn't go to bed until it had stopped (and before that I had my fingers poised over the phone!) It wasn't really bad, but could be heard. His tummy felt normal.

He's lost his spark in his eye. He doesn't glare at me anymore, doesn't look content, just looks upset. He spends all his time in the kitchen/bathroom (his rooms) and I have to bring him into the living room. He's usually really attached to me when I'm home! He was so happy after we moved and now he's reserved.

He's still flopping down, stretching and there are times where he's like the old Ted, and will do a binky.

We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning, so will see what she thinks. I don't think it was worms as he hasn't got any better, but slowly worse. He's still chunky, and I have no idea if he's lost any more weight, but It's his spine that is thin. His tummy is normal sized.

I'm keeping Ruby away from him, and changing clothes/washing myself before going to see her. I'll only put them together when they're sure it's not an infection she could catch.

Anyone have a clue?! I can't let anything happen to my little man!!

Sorry to hear Teddy is off colour still. I think a good long examination by the vet is your best bet and hopefully they can get to the bottom of this. I don't really want to speculate, plus it would just be guesswork really. Just wanted to send lots and lots of vibes for gorgeous Teddy and hoping that he feels better soon, you must be very worried, and have both been through so much. Lots of vibes from me and my buns :):wave:

I am sorry things havent improved for him. I know how hard it is to have a bun that loses there sparkle and yet vets cant quite put their finger on what is wrong.

Thanks for your support.

Getting Ruby was meant to be brilliant for him, but I can't let them near each other. I feel guilty for giving her cuddles, but Ted doesn't really want to know. If I go into the kitchen then he spooks and goes to hide in the bathroom...Ted never gets scared, he's a fighter, not a flighter!!

I've just found out that the vet's app is Friday....which I can't wait until. I'm going to try to take him tomorrow, but can't get there unless my dad can take me. If not then I'll take him to the one down the road which I can walk to. If anything happened because I left it too long I couldn't forgive myself. I'll take him tonight if I think he needs it!!

He had the 5 day panacur for worms, but not the 29 day one (EC?)

Thanks for your support.

Getting Ruby was meant to be brilliant for him, but I can't let them near each other. I feel guilty for giving her cuddles, but Ted doesn't really want to know. If I go into the kitchen then he spooks and goes to hide in the bathroom...Ted never gets scared, he's a fighter, not a flighter!!

I've just found out that the vet's app is Friday....which I can't wait until. I'm going to try to take him tomorrow, but can't get there unless my dad can take me. If not then I'll take him to the one down the road which I can walk to. If anything happened because I left it too long I couldn't forgive myself. I'll take him tonight if I think he needs it!!

He had the 5 day panacur for worms, but not the 29 day one (EC?)

If i were you i would ask about the 29 day course of panacur, his symptoms sound very much like what happened with one of my fosters who perked up after a 6 week course of panacur, i am no expert though it might be worth mentioning to your vet x

Oh:( no! Poor Teddy :cry:. Is it possible to get a taxi if you need to get anywhere? might be better since your normal vet is familiar with Tedster. And since its so cold and wet and stuff might not be good to put him in a carry box and walk.

Hope everything is ok!

Do you not have an emergency vet in your area? I think I would get him there tonight if you do. Poor little lamb. :(

I am thinking about it!! I'm going by him at the moment. He flops, is eating and drinking, hopping. He doesn't have laboured breathing and his tum isn't gurgly. I wouldn't have any problem in getting Ol up and taking them both, but with him the way he is I think that moving him for the night wouldn't help. I called the emergancy vet and they said that all they can do tonight is observe him, and can give him xrays, ultrasounds tomorrow if they think it's necessary. He's not dehydrated and has gut movements so they can't do much.

I'm going to move him upstairs with me and Roobs downstairs, so I can keep an eye on him.

How about these...the out of hours one? I think I would telephone them and ask if they think he needs seeing straight away, it may put your mind at ease.

http://cliftonvet.com/facilities.html

I've moved back to Suffolk now, so am back to the old vet. They can come collect him if I need it (for an extortionate fee!:roll:).

I'll ask about the 6 week course!

No vet in Newmarket knows Ted. My vet got his details from my old practice, but they only met him last week, so no one knows him really.

My poor boy! :(

Those are all good signs :)

We had a night sleeping with ours last weekend (she had only had the lady snip)...you'll be tired in the morning :)

Let us know how he gets on. Sending big fat cuddles and vibes for him.

How long since you all moved house ?
Could he just be stressed by a new environment ?

Not long. Just over a week. He's used to moving about a lot (as when I was living at home we went between my dad's and mum's houses.)

He seemed to settle down and then started to go downhill. He was on the panacur before the move as he has been losing weight. It's all gone from his back, his tummy is normal sized. He looks a bit triangular.

Not long. Just over a week. He's used to moving about a lot (as when I was living at home we went between my dad's and mum's houses.)

He seemed to settle down and then started to go downhill. He was on the panacur before the move as he has been losing weight. It's all gone from his back, his tummy is normal sized. He looks a bit triangular.

I would try and get him to the Vet tomorrow then.
Aswell as everything else make sure the Vet checks in his ears. Morse lost ALOT of muscle/weight from his spine/bum due to his ear problems

Good luck :)

Hi

I don't know which vet you are using but if it helps, here is a recommendation.

We used to live just outside Newmarket until fairly recently and used Lida Vets - they are just behind De Niro's. There are two vets that are good with rabbits - Shanika, who has rabbits of her own, and Nat.

I am sure that if you rang them in the morning and said that you had a poorly rabbit and needed to see someone urgently you could get an appointment. If you do, stress that you need to see one of the above.

Hope this is useful and vibes to the handsome Ted.

Hi

I don't know which vet you are using but if it helps, here is a recommendation.

We used to live just outside Newmarket until fairly recently and used Lida Vets - they are just behind De Niro's. There are two vets that are good with rabbits - Shanika, who has rabbits of her own, and Nat.

I am sure that if you rang them in the morning and said that you had a poorly rabbit and needed to see someone urgently you could get an appointment. If you do, stress that you need to see one of the above.

Hope this is useful and vibes to the handsome Ted.

Thanks! I live about a minutes walk from them, so was thinking of them if I can't get to my own vets (Swayne and Partners). I'll remember the names and ask tomorrow.

Jane - Thanks! I'm not sure about the ears as he's not shaking his head/scratching, and they don't look bad (but I guess there could be an underlying problem.

Just talked to K, his breeder, and she said that it could be something to do with his liver. She knows him and his personality, so knows there is something wrong. If she was closer then she'd come and see him. I'll make a note of all these things and ask tomorrow!!

Thank you so much everyone!

I am so sorry to hear Teddy is not well, sending lots of vibes from Jimby and I.
Keep us updated hun.

Back