• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I lost Max today

floptastic

Warren Scout
I had to say goodbye to my rabbit boy Max today and I am absolutely devasted and heartbroken :cry::cry::cry:
I posted a couple of weeks ago thinking it was constipation. I saw my local vet who thought it was cystitis. I then saw my rabbit savvy vet a week and a half ago who thought it was ECuniculi. He was on panacur for a week and seemed to improve but started to deteriorate at the weekend. Pain killers seemed to have an effect so I didn't see my rabbit savvy vet until yesterday (tuesday) but now he was much worse. He could hardly hop and seemed to be completely lost. Blood tests last week confirmed ECuniculi. After examining Max Judith our vet said it was most likely neurological. Among the options she gave me I took the steroid injection, fluids and more pain killers and go home option. She did say it didn't look good. All last night he suffered bouts of fits, he stopped eating and pooing. Today the same only much worse - he could hardly support himself, and during the last fits he started arching his neck back and screaming. I've been in tears all day hoping he would improve - as long as he could eat and poo we stood a chance. But he wouldn't eat and looked as if he could no longer swallow, he couldn't poo, I was able to make him pee, but despite the pain killers he looked in pain. Late this afternoon the frequency and severity of the fits increased so the local vet came to put him to sleep in my arms :cry::cry::cry:
Forgive me Max I spent so much time looking after Harlie (my heart failure rabbit) that I didn't see the fact you were ill too until it was too late. I love you forever my baby boy. I'll see you again oneday soon. :cry::cry::cry:

i am so sorry for your loss. what a heartbreaking thing to happen. you were with him though, which whilst it must be unbearably painful, is a strong and loving thing. binky free, max.

Sending you a big hug - please don't blame yourself, you did your best but sometimes these things are out of our hands.
Binky free little one.

I'm so sorry. It must be devastating. At least at the end he was with you, in your arms.

Sleep well Max. xx

Back