• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits squeak or did mice come in with the hay?

thursday

Young Bun
Hello all :wave:

This morning I heard a number of squeaks coming from my rabbits' pen. They were definite squeaks, like a mouse, and there were about 10 of them. They weren't regular, so I don't think they were breathing sounds.

I couldn't tell which - if either - of the buns was doing it, just that it was coming from their pen. One bun was just sitting in the pen; the other was in her box. Neither was doing anything. When I moved closer they both went into their box (they're rescue buns we've had for about 6 weeks and are still VERY wary of people).

I sat very quietly for about 45 minutes watching them and listening (was late for work :oops: ) but I didn't hear anything else.

Was this likely to be one of the rabbits? They both had a check-up and their VHDs at the vet on Monday and had an all clear.

But last night I took delivery of a kilo of Western Timothy Hay (previously I only had a sample pack of it, so they'd get a small amount of that daily on top of their regular hay; now I've given them piles of it!) - could there have been mice in it?

It's the Oxbow stuff from TheHayExperts, and I'm keeping it in a closed cotton drawstring bag. I've checked the bag and there are no nibbled holes though!

Any thoughts?

my bunnies and my daughters bunnies all whistle a bit, which sounds like a small squeak. hay is enough to bring this on. hay is very exciting.:)

Hello all :wave:

This morning I heard a number of squeaks coming from my rabbits' pen. They were definite squeaks, like a mouse, and there were about 10 of them. They weren't regular, so I don't think they were breathing sounds.

I couldn't tell which - if either - of the buns was doing it, just that it was coming from their pen. One bun was just sitting in the pen; the other was in her box. Neither was doing anything. When I moved closer they both went into their box (they're rescue buns we've had for about 6 weeks and are still VERY wary of people).

I sat very quietly for about 45 minutes watching them and listening (was late for work :oops: ) but I didn't hear anything else.

Was this likely to be one of the rabbits? They both had a check-up and their VHDs at the vet on Monday and had an all clear.

But last night I took delivery of a kilo of Western Timothy Hay (previously I only had a sample pack of it, so they'd get a small amount of that daily on top of their regular hay; now I've given them piles of it!) - could there have been mice in it?

It's the Oxbow stuff from TheHayExperts, and I'm keeping it in a closed cotton drawstring bag. I've checked the bag and there are no nibbled holes though!

Any thoughts?

As Mudgy said, my first though is that one of your rabbits has had babies? How old are they, are they neutered.

Mice can usually find a way into a hutch somehow, not neccessarily with the hay. contrary to popular belief though, they don't usually squeak alot unless frightened/fighting.

They're both female and both spayed :)

They're house rabbits in the living room and we don't have a mouse problem anywhere else.

I've left a couple of pieces of food in shallow bowls in the living room (outside the buns' pen) to see whether they disappear whilst I'm at work - thought that would be the best way to test if it was mice!

my bunnies and my daughters bunnies all whistle a bit, which sounds like a small squeak. hay is enough to bring this on. hay is very exciting.:)
It could be hay excitment I suppose :lol:

Previously they've only had a bit of Timothy hay each day as I only had a sample pack (don't worry, they have loads of 'regular' hay). When the new stuff arrived last night I filled the hay rack, hay ball, added a bowl of hay and left a pile on their grass mat! So maybe they were saying thanks!

Back