• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying op - not eating now

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
Hey,

Ellie's being spayed tomorrow any advice on what is the best thing to do when I have brought her home. Allow her full access to run which has litter tray, hay etc. Any advice would be great thanks.. Should I fully disinfect her cage before I take her to vets so it's clean on return..

I'm so worried.....

Last edited:
Yes make sure everywhere is clean, you should remove any things that she may try to jump on. You don't really want her running around so keep her in a comfortable space not too big. Make sure she has water that is easy to get to and plenty of her favourite food. Use towels for bedding so that nothing can get into the wound.

If she's an outdoor bun ideally you need to keep her indoors overnight as she wont be able to regulate her body temp very well after the GA. Do you have somewhere safe to keep her?

Everything should be clean and you should avoid harsh beddings which could irritate the wound so stick to an old towel or I have found puppy pads brill for this if you can get them - they are spongy so soft and you can just throw them away.

You'll also need her fav veggies on hand to encorage her to eat, its not unusual for them to refuse hay/pellets for a day or so.

Thanks guys, she got through the operation but she hasn't pooped or eaten yet. I did manage to get almost two syringes of recovery food into her this morning. All she is doing is sitting in her cage, Iv'e tried banana and all her favourites.

How soon should I get worried, she has to go back to vets tonight at six. I'm in work at mo but watching her on bunny camera..

I just wish I could be at home with her :cry:

If she hasn't eaten / poo'd within 24hrs of the op then I would see the vet. Insist on having some pain medication when you go there if they don't offer it.

I agree with timb0h,a bunny in pain wont eat, it sounds as if she needs more pain relief. Sending vibes x

Sooty didnt eat until about 6pm the following evening - dandelions did the trick - she woofed them down and then i had a nice big pile of poos :D - never been so relieved to see poos!!

if your going tonight anyway she should be ok - but im no expert ...

Has she drunk? sooty drank ALOT when she came home from her spay

Hi :wave:
I was as worried as you are! she didn't touch any food till the afternoon of the following day and she didn't poo either! she was very sleepy because of the anesthetic and I rushed to the vet the following morning and they gave me a syringe to feed her, but I struggled with that as she didn't let me feed her.. so I decided to give her a bit of more time to relax in her cage...
I left home for a few hours (even though my mind was with her for all the time!) :cry:.. and when I came back home in the afternoon... I found poos in her tray and also the food was completely disappeared! such a big relief!!:p
I hope she will start eating soon! Let me know how it goes!
Good luck:love:

Back