• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barley's story.

willowholly

Mama Doe
Three years as yesterday we went to White post Farm to scatter the ashes of our beloved Willow.Whilst there we had a look at what bunnys they had,it had been over a week since Will had died & I couldn't stand the silence anymore.We were shown all sorts of giants-french lops,vlaamse rheuse,giant papillion.These had all been bred there.She also took us to the quarentine section where she had 3 very small frenchies-1buck,2does,which had come in from an inexperienced breeder who couldn't cope.As I have never[until recently]been a lover of bucks,I knew it had to be a girl who came home with us.Didn't like the GP so they were out,had to wait another few weeks for the VR,so they were out as was too impatient!!Which left 2 black frenchie does or 2 blue & cream butts.We decided on one of the black ones only because we had met both parents & they were gorgeus & also the quarentine buns weren't able to leave just yet.Dont like all black buns so had my doubts but we agreed on getting one.It was all sorted,we bought the cage,hay etc & went for a coffee whilst we waited for paperwork & buns to be brought down.When we went back we were told we couldn't take her then as there was much interest & they had told other people they weren't ready for another few days so it wouldn't be fair.We were told to go back in 3 days nice & early to be first in the queue.We went home & kept looking at the pictures we had taken of these buns.We only wanted the black one because of its parentage really,the blue butterfly had the most amazing eyes,which I had never seen before,dark grey.We hadn't even contemplated her sister,it was always her out of the two.After much discussions we decided to phone white post the next day to see when the quarentine buns could be released & amazingly she said the does could go that day but not the buck.We went back,armed with our photo from the previous day but there was no mistaking her,she had a big "W"[& still has] on her head.She was the naughtiest out of the three.She fidgeted all the way from the hutch & when we put her in the carrier,she was stomping,like she still does,& chucking her blanket around.She fidgeted on my knee going home & when we got home she ran around for 8 hours solid.I knew she was going to be trouble from the start but I loved her for it.I never regretted getting her.She is the most beautiful bun,in looks,that we have ever had.She came to us with muscle wastage & has had many health problems since.She never grew into a big frenchie,and im sure all her problems were from a bad beginning with a bad breeder.I often wonder about her siblings & what happened to them.She has brought us much happiness & much pain,having nursed her through alot.I feel privilaged to have her & wish she would get better soon because I love her so much.

Last edited:
It sounds like she was destined to be with you and quite possibly wouldn't have made it, had it not been you she went home with that day.

I hope Barley gets well very soon. x

Back