• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I now have a VERY pregnant piggy! U/D PIC POST 38!

Milo+Fizz

Mama Doe
As a follow on to my thread about whether I should take on a possible pregnant guinea pig as her breeder was getting rid of her "stock" well my heart ruled my head and I phoned to say I was on my way to get her. Once I was there she told me she was definatly pregant as she was able to tell once she got her from the garden for me. She hadnt seen her for weeks as she'd been feeding her in the dark. My word Ive never seen anything so fat in my life, she can barley walk :shock:. So im gonna need to do alot of research as I know nothing :oops:. She has been in with the male since before her last litter so dad could help her raise them:?. Vibes for my new little babies please, I so hope they all make it. :love: :love:

Last edited:
:wave: My g.pig had babies when I was younger. Don't worry we kept them all.
I had to hand rear the runt though as he was to weak to get to mums milk.

Was the best learning curve of my life.

I am not going to offer advice as we did it in a very ignorant way, maybe just luck that they all survived.:shock::(

There is a G.Pig forum that is really good.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/ Don't know if that is right though:?

Good luck and photos please:love:

If she is that big then expect babies very soon. I had two pigs give birth within an hour of each other. They didn't need any help from me. Just made sure the food dish was full and they had lot's of hay and water. The babies were up and running about soon after birth and they were eating the same food as mum too. They have fur and open eyes when they are born so much eaiser than baby buns.
One pig had 3 babies and the other had 4. I watched while they were born, wonderful to see as I wasn't expecting it. I had only opened the hutch to feed them!

Good luck, can't wait to see piggy baby pics :love:

SO glad you went and got her :D
She is now a lucky piggy to have found a new home and to be able to be cared for nicely while she has her babies!

I breed guinea pigs. Just make sure she has a lot of fresh veg , greens are very good for a sows milk production also hay and plenty of water as they drink alot whilst pregnant. She should be fine they often give birth when you are not there. It sounds like she dosnt have much longer to go.If you can see the babies moving about and kicking she could have them quite soon! Mini pigs are usually ok and even start nibbling the day they are born. Male babies need to be separated from 2.5 weeks as they can breed with mum and any sisters in the litter. Hope that helps a bit any questions feel free to ask :D

the babies tend to move around less as the day of birth gets nearer,they get into position and tend not to roll and kick very much.

Babies are often born in the early hours and generally mums cope very well. Babies won't feed from mum usually for a few hours after birth, then they'll take it in turns and often form an orderly cue for milk.

The babies are eating solid food from day two onwards.

Males can be quite saucy and should be removed at 21/28 days depending on whether they start to purr round their mum. I have successfully left small boys with mum up until 28 days old but generally would remove good size boys at 21 days but no earlier as to my mind it is detrimental to their behavioural development to remove them earlier than this.

hope that helps.

Thank you for your help everyone and your support:D. She is an absolute food hover and shes drunk nearly half a bottle of water in 24 hours! As soon as I put her in the hutch she hid in the hay and started munching it. Ive been looking at the guinea pig forum and seen all the baby pictures, my god they are just the cutest little things. I just hope she gives birth okay as thats my biggest fear right now. She looks like a little whale bless her. :love: :love:

She doesnt actually look as big in these photos as she does in real life.

CIMG0682.jpg

CIMG0685.jpg

It doesnt look like too much fun :lol: You can feel the babies if your gentle :mrgreen: It freaks me out!

It was a great way to get away with bringing a new pet home as OH was too gobsmacked at the size of her. His words were along the lines of..."Oh my god Ive never seen a guinea pig that fat in my life" :lol:

Last edited:
Back