• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

netherland dwarf with a cross bite

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
helloooooooooooo:wave:
when i took coco for her myxo jab the vet said that her teeth didnt line up so i will have to keep an eye on them as they wont wear down very well.
she is on a diet of pellets , mixed veg and hay,, she also munches here straw too.
she has a big willow ball to chew on( which she's not chewed once:lol:) various chewy toys, is there anything else i can do to help her?
how often should i take her for dental checks?

Hello :D
I have a black netherland dwarf that looks just like cocco and I have been told exactly the same by the vet. I am going to try and reduce her pellets and encourage her to eat more hay to help keep her teeth healthy

she has a big willow ball to chew on( which she's not chewed once:lol:) various chewy toys,....

have you tried giving fresh willow or apple branches?
my old bun used to hate the shop bought ones but show her a fresh apple branch from the garden and she would eat the whole thing leaves and all.
(just make sure that insecticides/pesticides have not been used and wash and dry the branch before giving it her)

dental problems are quite common in neddies. As said keep her on a slightly restricted diet so that she eats lots of hay. Try popping some pellets into the willow ball or rubbing a bit of carrot on it so that she gets the idea. Fresh apple/pear/willow/beech twigs are also very tempting. I would get her teeth checked again initially after 1 month to see how much they have grown (unless she shows signs of pain/illness/drooling before then). The vet will then be able to give you an idea of how often she will need dentals.

If you find that she needs regular dentals & it is her incissors then you could think about extraction which is a high one off cost but cheaper in the long run than a dental every month.

A rabbits diet consists of this:
80-90% good quality hay
The other percentage should be pellets veggies and fresh grass.
I breed Nethies and not one of mine have ever had a problem with their teeth.
Most people that have problems ask me why are their teeth so bad, and it ends up to be not enough roughage in their diet. They are feeding too many commercial foods.
I feed my stud this:
*Unlimited grass hay
*they are in their outside pens for 8 hours a day, which has various tree branches (fruit) and plenty of grass
*their pellet mix consists of, pellets, maize, oats, sunflower seeds and chaff. They get 1/4 cup of this at night time.
also fresh greens nightly too.

Back