• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too cold for the run at night?

Marreline

Warren Scout
Do you always put your bunnies into their hutch at night or allow them freedom in the run?

Mine have a hutch/run combo (the hutch is upstairs) and I have always chased them up and closed the trap door but the other night this wasn't done as my OH and I both thought the other was on bed duty!! I was really shocked to find them up and about when I came down next morning. It had been a cold night but they were both happy and bouncy and desperate for brekkie.

The run is secure and wind proof (locks, wire, covered all over with hutch hugger) but do you think it'll be warm enough now the weather is getting progressively colder? They can still get access to the hutch if they want it and this also secure and windproof (it also has carpets over back, front and sides at night)

x

So long as they have somewhere out of the wind and little chance of getting wet they should be fine. Mine are all covered but have 24 hr access to everywhere.

As winter comes in they grow through their winter coats.

If you do think they may get cold, put a snugglesafe in with them. I usually give mine warm porridge made with water if the morening is particularly cold, by cold I mean Jan, Feb, not at the minute. I also line the bedding area with cheap fleece and soft straw, so they have somewhere snuggly warm to go to if they need to.

you will probably find they don't need it and will be sat in the run in all temperatures, but it does let you mind rest that they have that choice.

Mine have 24 hour access too and quite often choose to sit outside in all weathers - they have lovely thick fur coats to keep them warm. As long as they have somewhere warm, draught free and dry to get to if they want to, they will be fine. Just like you and I, they're quite capable of deciding if they're cold and going and finding somewhere warmer to sit :)

Thanks for your comments. You ahve given me peace of mind and the bunnies are very grateful as they hate being shoved off to bed - they protest hugely every night! Their hutch and run is wind and rain proof and the hutch is insulated with carpet (though still feels cold!!). Their coats are beautifully thick so I'm sure they'll be fine.

x

I leave mine out all night, but if it drops below zero I will be locking them in temporarily. I have a wireless temperature thingy so that I can check :oops:

My have constant access to their aviary and most often choose to sit in it. I cover the sides in the winter to keep the wind and rain out.

I would give them the choice where they choose to go and leave access to the run at all times :D

Mine have 24/7 access to their runs and 99% of the time choose to sit outside, whatever the weather!!!!!

Mine have access to run at night and are always in it... in fact they hardly ever go in the hutch at all... only if they get frightened by something (high winds/animals).

Bramble sits in his run all day and all night (I think!). He uses his hutch when scared, (usually of the lawnmower :roll:) and his potty is in there too!

Back