• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating after spaying

katie2000

Alpha Buck
My 2 bunnies were spayed around 1pm today and I collected them at 5.30 and the vet said they had eaten a few pellets. Since I have got them home they have not eaten much and there are no poos - I have been trying to tempt them with their favourite things and they have had 2 bites of apple but not really interested. Should I be worrying?? :cry:

Someone with a lot of info will be along shortly but from what I know you have to be careful with the not eating/pooing thing.
However ... after Miffy's spay she was not back to 'normal' until the next morning.
Keep an eye tonight and good luck:)

Don't panic yet - just keep them warm and make sure there are plenty of nice things around to tempt them to eat. If still no improvement eating by morning then I would suggest back to the vet first thing for more pain relief and maybe some other supportive medicines e.g. fluids, gut motility agents etc. Good luck, hope they feel better soon. :):wave:

Good luck hope they are OK - I plan to use the favoured banana as a treat to see if Gizmo is OK, he never says 'no' just scoffs the lot, he is also partial to parsley so I will know if he's not right.

Thanks I hope they will be ok in the morning. I think they are in quite a bit of pain - they are both stretched out in their hutch looking quite uncomfortable so its no wonder they dont feel like food. Fingers crossed they will get an appetite during the night

Do you think it will be ok to try them with banana because they have never had it before? My last bunny used to love it and I will try anything to get my girls eating again

Did the vet give post-op pain relief before you collected them? But yes they will be sore and bruised this is normal. :(

A little banana is fine - just not too much :):wave:

Are they indoors? They need to be indoors tonight as they won't be able to regulate their body temperature after the anaesthetic.

Do you have a receipt? Does it specify what they have been given - I would hope they have been given some painkiller, but if you have a receipt you can check and assure yourself.

I wouldn't worry too much about eating tonight as they have had a big op, but if they aren't eating and pooping by tomorrow morning then I would worry. I think you can do more harm than good by steaming in and trying to syringe feed too soon, it will just stress them out even more and then it becomes a vicious circle.

As long as they are warm and cosy tonight, with some fresh tempting things to munch on if they feel like it, and a bowl of water as well as a bottle, hopefully they will be starting to feel a bit better in the morning.

They have been given Domitor, Ketaset, Rimadyl, Antisedan and metoclopramide and Im not sure what all of those are but he vet said they had pain relief and something to stop stasis. They are normally outdoor bunnies but I have brought their hutch in tonight and close off the top level so they cant do themselves any damage on the ramp and they are both going to sleep in their bed. I hope they are feeling better by 2moro, I didnt think it would be this stressful! :?

Rimadyl is the painkiller there and metaclopromide is the gut stimulant (to help prevent stasis) so you can be assured your bunny has had pain relief :) The other drugs listed there are anaesthetic induction agents.

Fingers crossed they're feeling better in the morning :)

I normally find that fresh grass & dandelions work a treat with getting our buns to eat after ops etc :)

They will probably be still feeling off for the time being, but as Santa has said above - if by tomorrow morning they're not eating & pooping again, they might need to back to the vets for some more pain relief.

Sending lots of vibes for them to be back to normal soon :)

Did the vet give post-op pain relief before you collected them? But yes they will be sore and bruised this is normal. :(

A little banana is fine - just not too much :):wave:

I agree, sorry I should have specified, I only give a teaspoon size once a day♥

Thanks for all your advice. My bunnies have still not eaten this morning - all food is still untouched :cry: I have rang the vet and I am going to collect some syringes and she will make me up some food mix to try them on. Really worried now because there is no poo either

Ask your vet if they can give you some more painkiller.

Are the bunnys moving around - if you can encourage them to move a little this can help stimulate the guts.

I have asked the vet and she said they don't need any more pain killer but I now have some recovery power which I have mixed with warm water and syringe fed so at least they have had something. How often should I deef them??

She also said if they are still not eating them she can give them another injection to stimulate the gut.

Do you think if I put them in the run for a while that this will do them good? I don't want them to hurt their scar

Well if its 24 hours since they last had painkillers and they are not feeling bright enough to be eating then I would insist this be reviewed.

Keep offering little fresh bits, rocket, basil, corriander, a little apple, anything to get them eating. Put it under their noses, be a pest with it, and leave some within easy reach. Water is important too so make sure they have bowls within reach.

Are there any poops?

Still no poops :( Although they are starting to nibble a bit at dandelion and some herbs now and I have given them some syringe food. How long should it be before poops? I am worried that they have still not done any

Well if its 24 hours since they last had painkillers and they are not feeling bright enough to be eating then I would insist this be reviewed.

I too would be wanting more pain killer tonight. I personally feel this has gone on too long - spays are very painful and even NSAID's don't last more than 24 hours in my experience, for pain purposes I find they only last 12 hours. Opiates last for even less. I woud also be insisting on more pain relief tonight, some sub-cut fluids and some more metclopramide provided there is no blockage evident, and definitely some ranitidine (another gut motility drug as well). Good luck, just keep tempting with food. I find strongly scented herbs work well, but to be honest, a bun in pain is not going to want to eat anyway. :wave:

Thanks for your advice everyone - just a quick update

I rang the vet at tea time on wed because they still had done no poops and it had been 24hours and the vet said all they could do was give a gut stimulant and send them home so I rang another vet who said to bring them straight in and she listened to their gut and said that both had gone into stasis :( She gave them fluids, pain relief and 2 gut stimulants and she syringe fed them throughout the night and by the next morning they had improved loads and both were eating a little bit of food

I got both my bunnies back last night because their guts sounded normal and they seem to be doing fine - eating fresh grass and doing little poops. I have painkillers and a gut stimulant to give for the next 5 days. Im really annoyed that the first vet wasn't prepared to do much for my babies.

Also the first few poops that the bunnies did were a bit watery and they have dried on their tails - any idea of the best way to remove these??

Back