• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going to the vets at 5!.....UPDATE Been for a dental, bad news!

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Fudge is just not been well the past week, her poo is small and despite being on metacam and zantac it hasnt helped :(
Today she has been pushing her tummy to the ground which, correct me if im wrong, means tummy pains?

She is still herself, very lively and is still eating like a little pig :roll:
I just hope shes going to be ok :(:( I think she is needing a dental also :(

Why do these things happen :(

Last edited:
Lots of luck at the vets, I hope they can shed light on it.

It sounds as though she might have a gassy tummy/stasis. That weird lying down thing coupled with small poops is a big sign for Bob. That said though, he normally stops eating when he's in pain so it's good Fudge still has an interest in food.

Bob's never had Zantac so I don't know how effective it is. They might do x-rays to check for gas etc..She might need something stronger if it is stasis.

Let us know how it goes. Am sending good gut vibes... x

Well we have been and she is getting a dental on Thursday!

He had a good feel of her tummy and said he couldnt feel anything 'out of place' and her gut noises are normal. He checked her teeth and he said he could see a slight spur but nothing major but he wants a good look under GA just incase there is a spur at the back that he cant see.

She is getting a slightly higher dose of metacam and to keep her on the zantac. He said aslong as she is eating and pooing he isnt too concerned.

If the dental isnt what the problem is he is going to get x-rays of her tummy and skull and see what is going on!

Any spare vibes for my little girl appreciated. I hope its just a dental she is needing :(

Fudge was in for her dental today and the vet said her mouth was a complete mess :(

He said there wasnt any spurs but she had 2 wobbly teeth (Back right and front right) and the front one had started crumbling. He took some X-Rays and it showed that the back teeth roots had died off and her teeth were like stepping stones not flat like they should be!
He said her enamal (sp?) was poor! He explained that as good as it is her going 7/8months without a dental things were worse and there is a 80-85% chance its just going to keep getting worse :cry::cry:

He is shocked by how bad her teeth are for such a young bunny (2 in December) He Said he has done his best to make things more comfortable for her but the out-look isnt too good :cry:

She has eaten all her pellets and had a drink and seems happier now shes home! I have to make the most of the time i have with her and take everyday as it comes! I can only pray for a miracle and hope that she will have a long, healthy and happy life! My poor baby its just not fair :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm so sorry to hear your news. What a terrible shock for you.
Yes, we'll pray for a miracle down here too.
Please don't give up hope. There are several "gummy bunnies" on this forum who do really well on a soft diet should the worst come to the worst.
It's really good news that Fudge has started to eat so quickly.
Thinking of you both!

Dental buns are so unfortunate poor souls. Maybe your vet was being a bit pessimistic though . . . they can manage without front teeth at all (I had one who had had them out) so maybe it won't be that bad.

I had a Bun who developed similar problems at the age of 2. Although she had to have numerous Dentals she coped well for another 3 years :)
Hopefully Fudge will too

xx

Try not to feel too bad about Fudge. Buns can live for years with really bad dental problems. Often it just means having to soak pellets and grate veg into little pieces.

Me and several other members of the forum have rabbits with terrible teeth. My Vernon only has about 3 molars in total...the rest have been removed because they were loose or have simply crumbled away below the gumline.

IMO the important thing to keep on top of is infection (in the tooth roots or the holes left when teeth fall out/are removed). Often owners wait until an abscess crops up on the jawline, by which time it may be too late to control the infection.

im sorry, its the worst feeling in the world when the vet says them dreaded its not looking good words :cry::cry::cry:

loads of vibes xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks everyone, I know that she has a chance of a long life but its what could happen (absesses etc.) that i dont what her to have to go through!

She is her usual self today, her eating is fine she has pooped loads over night, although not a great size but im hoping they get bigger again. For now everything is ok lets hope it stays that way!

Dental buns are so unfortunate poor souls. Maybe your vet was being a bit pessimistic though . . . they can manage without front teeth at all (I had one who had had them out) so maybe it won't be that bad.

Yeh i know gummy bunnies manage without their incisors as i had a gummy bunny, my beautiful bridge bunny Blackie xx
It isnt Fudges Incisors thats the problem, its her molars unfortunately :(

I trust my vet 100% he is great so I feel better knowing she is in good hands. And I have metacam here if she needed it, which i would not hesitate to use :)

Thanks again everyone xxx

I've just read that the herb thyme is helpful in preventing gum infections & dill has antibacterial properties too.
I know you can't get the fresh herbs now in winter, but if Fudge likes them they may be a useful addition to her salads & help her at the same time. It's also possible to make a "herb tea" from dill seeds which are available through winter.
We really need parsnip bun to advise us here.

I've just read that the herb thyme is helpful in preventing gum infections & dill has antibacterial properties too.
I know you can't get the fresh herbs now in winter, but if Fudge likes them they may be a useful addition to her salads & help her at the same time. It's also possible to make a "herb tea" from dill seeds which are available through winter.
We really need parsnip bun to advise us here.

Thanks :wave: I will try her with both but she does have a very sensitive tummy so i have to watch what i feed her! She cant have big portions of veg but i can try her with some and hope shes ok :D

Thanks again :wave:

May I clarify, I'm sure that you know that we should never feed our buns seeds of any kind, because they can cause an impaction.

To make dill tea, mash 2 teaspoons of seeds, out in a mug, pour over boiling water, & stand for 10 mins, strain the liquid - give 0.7 ml for a small bun - 1.5 ml for a large bun. It is the active ingredient in "Gripe water"which helps to expel gas in tummy problems.
The plant is an annual with fern like leaves. My bun has 3 fronds several times a week to help his tummy.

Unfortunately he likes to chin scent his food :roll: so when I gave him thyme it "outscented him & he literally attacked it in temper!:roll:
Thyme is said to have the better antiseptic properties.

I sincerely wish you both all the best Judy & Thumper :wave:

Back