• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When rabbits chew through wires

When i had Claude he chewed through loads of wires but was ok i suppose i never thought about him getting a shock?

Last edited:
i find this weird because all my buns at some point have nibbled a wire but only ones plugged in, they've even avoid and stepped ove wires that are not live,
im wondering if they are attracted to the charge, not a theory i wanna test of course just something ive observed with only my own buns

Shes been obessed with getting to it for weeks but its the only wire she can get to as the others are covered up

My bunnies have only ever chewed through wires that weren't live. But I wouldn't recommend leaving any live wire near your bun, I wouldn't risk it.

My bunnies have only ever chewed through wires that weren't live. But I wouldn't recommend leaving any live wire near your bun, I wouldn't risk it.

Charlie tricked me. He acted like he didn't care about wires up until he was about a year old... And then he went mental for them :roll:

I remember Claude chewed through about 6 phone chargers, the house phone cable and he got behind the tv and chewed the scart cable

Norty Bunnehs! Max once chewed through all my computer wires, including the modem, but I was at college that day and came home to find the mess, thankfully the computer was off! :lol:

I agree totally with Jaysmonkey.
Many buns do nibble through live cables & are apparently unharmed.
I suspect it's because they do not sweat, & have thick fur on their feet, which acts as an insulator. If your bun has a wet foot for whatever reason, you may not be so lucky next time.
It's everything protected & off at the plug in this house, + bun out of the room when I'm hoovering!
ETA mine has only chewed the 'phone & internet cables when on, & in use to "detach me" from giving the wall too much attention!

Last edited:
My buns once nibbled through a live cable and when I found it there were scorch marks on the chewed ends, despite this they were both apparently fine :?:shock:

I don't really understand it cos I electrocuted myself on the mains once and got a huge shock, it was horrible.

Definitely not something i encourage though, all cables are now encased in super tough hosepipe :)

Back