• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok to put outdoors?

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
My two buns are normally outdoor buns but recently they have both been poorly (Daisy was spayed,had an abcess, gut statsis and an eye infection and gizmo had a dental) so for the past 3-4 weeks they have been mainly indoors just going out in the garden during the day when its been nice enough. Daisys eye infection has just about cleared up and i wanted to put them back outside as they arent house trained and often leave little puddles about :oops: Have i left it to late? Also me and my OH may have to move soon and i will be back at my mums so the buns will have to be indoors, as she gets foxes in her garden, will this be a prob if they have got their winter coats? Sorry for the confusion have got so much going on at the mo not sure what to do for the best.

If they have winter coats you can still bring them in as long as you make sure they dont get too warm. They will shed them in a few weeks.

If they have been in for a while they wont have developed winter coats so shouldnt go outside as its too cold.

I'd say that 4 weeks inside was too long to go out now personally, it is getting down to 3 degrees at night already outside, and is forecast to get colder. If they are used to 21 degrees for the last month then I think you might have to think about indoor housing and litter training instead :wave:

(Unless you have a garage/shed that can be safely heated and kept around 16 degrees at least.)

I'm afraid I think it's too late to put any rabbits outdoors that have been kept indoors for any length of time. If you had a garage or something then you could use heaters to gradually adjust them down to the temperature outside.

Hiya thanks for all your replies. They are still indoors and will be for the winter!!! Gizmo has started to moult and we are also moving soon and they will have to be indoors for a while until we find ourselves a place (will be at my mums in the meantime). Thanks again :)

Back