• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wonky tooth

LloydFerris

Warren Scout
It was recently discovered that Saffy has a wonky tooth. We had it trimmed at the vet's last week and will have to have it done regularly for the rest of her life. What I'm wondering is, how often? I'd hate to have her become poorly again as a result of her wonky tooth before it was trimmed again.
The vet did suggest every 2-4 months but I just read of a bun on RU that has it done every 3 weeks.
When do you think I should have her teeth rechecked?

I've only got dental experience with a bun with incisors that grew wonky. And in the end it was kinder to have them taken out. Maybe this is the same situation? What tooth is it, like at the back or front?

It's a back tooth. I couldn't believe how long it was!
ANd I'm right POed, too because when I adopted her a few months ago from the SPCA they gave me a list of rabbit savvy vets who would give her a free check-up because I adopted her from them.
This vet only looked at her incisors and listened to her heart. IF he had bothered to look at her properly the wonky tooth would have been discovered then and she would not have become ill as she did last week as I would have had maintenance done.
I guess a free vet visit isn't worth it! Wonderful incentive, hmmm?

It's a back tooth. I couldn't believe how long it was!
ANd I'm right POed, too because when I adopted her a few months ago from the SPCA they gave me a list of rabbit savvy vets who would give her a free check-up because I adopted her from them.
This vet only looked at her incisors and listened to her heart. IF he had bothered to look at her properly the wonky tooth would have been discovered then and she would not have become ill as she did last week as I would have had maintenance done.
I guess a free vet visit isn't worth it! Wonderful incentive, hmmm?

Aah I've not got any experience with back teeth sadly. Are you still with that vets maybe get a second opinion?

I'm so sorry to hear that Saffy has dental problems.
I'm a bit surprised that it is only 1 back tooth. Has the tooth which should meet with it, & grind against it been removed?

I'm new to teeth probs, so I didn't think to ask about whether the opposing tooth needed to be removed or not. I'll be sure to find out more when we go back in 6 weeks (the vet called today to check up on her and suggest I return with Saff in 6 weeks for a tooth trim).
There was only that one problematic tooth that she saw in there, though. This new vet only sees 'exotics' (lots of buns!), so she is very bunny savvy. AND her rates are more reasonable than the first bunny vet I took them to! (the one I that did the initial post-adoption 'free' check-up)
Better vet, better rates-awesome!

Last edited:
this is interesting because my poor bun went in to have the spurs removed off his teeth yesterday, they didn't say anything about going in every 4 months? i have a check up tomo think i may ask them

Hi there.
The best I can do for you both is to direct you to http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=472

It gives a good summary of what rabbit tooth problems are about, why they happen, the signs our rabbits may have a tooth problem, & how they can affect general rabbit health. It's a big subject.

Then come back to us, & people on here can tell you about their personal experience & give a few practical tips about what you can do to help your bun, which may help you.

I would warn you that there are very strongly held opinions about the surgical methods used to treat bunny teeth, with differences between the USA & UK as well as within the UK itself.

Some good news is that my buck has had dental problems all his life & is now in his 4th year with none of the longstanding complications.

The frequency with which buns need dental surgery is highly variable. Because my bun reduces his fluid intake early, & changes diet, causing reversible urinary calcium & gut motility problems, he needs dental work about every 6 weeks. It is a case of knowing your bun, & the very first signs of problems. It is then a matter of good veterinary judgment about when to intervene.

I am delighted that you have a rabbit savvy vet. Top veterinary care is essential for this condition.

ETA I do appeal to members contributing to this thread that we bear in mind USA differences in treatment, & that there can be marked regional differences in the accessibility to good rabbit vets.

Last edited:
I am 101% behind you re hay Raine.

However getting there can be difficult, especially if it has been painful for the bunny to swallow for a long time. We need to understand our bunny's view point to help him to get there.

Earlier this year one of my teeth broke. The tooth itself wasn't painful, but every time I moved my tongue even to swallow my saliva, let alone drink or eat, it was as if I had a razor blade in my mouth. Fluids were more painful than solids. I begged for dental attention long before I had a tongue ulcer. I believe that this is the situation our buns are in.

My own bun was known to have tiny lower molar spikes from when I got him, perhaps 16weeks. No vet thought they were giving problems because there was no soft tissue damage. In fact I had massive problems with diet, & keeping him hydrated. He stopped drinking water altogether at perhaps 20 weeks, & could only get fluids from his food or drinking his wee. He has been offered fresh water & hay of every brand & with everything possible done to make it easier for him, every day since he arrived.
Recently he's been eating hay like no tomorrow, BUT that ONLY started & started immediately, when he learned how to DRINK fresh WATER without pain.

YES buns Have to eat hay or very coarse grass to wear their teeth down AND they have to DRINK WATER to survive on a DRY hay diet.
This is the step that nobody seemed to be aware of when I was so desperate for help.

Is she eating lots of hay?

Saffy eats LOTS of fresh hay, which is great! She had slowed down and then her poos really slowed down (this happened within hours) and that's when I took her to the vet. Since she had that tooth trimmed she is back to normal-eating lots of hay and drinking plently of water.
From what I saw of the back tooth, it looked like a molar that had grown to the length of an incisor. Is that weird? Maybe it was just because I got a quick look at it, and didn't see it correctly.

And thanks so much for the tooth link, Thumps!
I feel the uncontrollable urge to mention that I am NOT in the USA. I am in Canada. Maybe it's akin to how Aussies and Kiwis hate being thought of as the other, I don't know....but I AM CANADIAN.:D

:D Love your last comment! I do that when I am asked if I am a Geordie (people who come from Newcastle upon Tyne) I came from Hartlepool and Im a monkey hanger!!!

Cherry has had dental problems since I got her about 4 months ago and it was a fight to get her good medical care at an affordable price (PLEASE INSURE YOUR PETS ASAP after getting them) At my original vets I was told £500+ to remove her back teeth, or PTS :( It took them 4 weeks and a dramatic weight loss for them to find her teeth problems.

I went in search of a second opinion and she underwent her second dental 2 weeks ago, as the first one wasn't good enough. an expensive lesson learnt.

She had to have a loose tooth extracted, as well as her back teeth burred to the gum line. I am now feeding her dandelions and grass, as well as grated carrot and apple, all mixed into her hay, to help grinde her teeth down. As well as pellets.

I have not made a final decision regarding her health care at the minute I feel it is too soon. But I know that having major dentals like this is not the life for her. She is not happy in the cage a the minute, but I am trying to help her put weight on, so I can then reduce her diet to hay only.

Firstly, my sincere apologies for my ignorance of basic geography, & failure to read your details. I wouldn't take kindly to be taken as from a different country with very marked cultural differences, history, & even some aspects of language, either!! :oops::oops: I hope you understand that my "heart was in the right place", in trying to spare you some of the distress we have encountered.

To your rabbit's teeth. Now you know about the "lay out" of rabbit teeth, you can see how I found it so difficult to understand how 1 molar could grow as long as an incisor, without propping the jaw so widely open, your poor bun wouldn't have been able to eat at all for ages!
One possibility was that there was no opposing upper molar. This may need different long term dental management from the situation of opposing molars.
Another possibility, is that there were large spurs at the sides of the molar making it much wider & "bigger" & it only had the appearance of being longer in the narrow mouth cavity at the back.
I don't know the answer, but hopefully, you have more questions for your vet.

It's so good that your bun is a good hay eater, because this is needed for normal tooth wear as well as gut motility. I strongly recommend simple pain relief for about 3 days after dental work to help your bun return to eating comfortably ASAP

I truly believe that each bun is different. The standard signs of developing dental problems are very gradual eg. subtle changes in dietary preferences, gradual decrease in fluid intake, which are best seen in the litter tray.
A reduction in poop number & size can indicate reduced food intake which predisposes to gut motility problems. I've briefly touched on urinary calcium issues. We get to know our buns in time!

My only other tip happened by chance, & has proven to be invaluable in monitoring "litter contents" closely. It may not be possible in your "set up" or your bun may not "take to it." Thumper designed his own toilet arrangement & won't use anything else! There is a photo on:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200448&page=4 #38 "Introducing Thumper".

No apology necessary. It's my personal issue that it drives me nuts to be confused with an American! Tee hee!
I do have lots of questions for the new vet-thanks again!
So, tooth trimming is painful? Is this consistent or just in severe cases? I didn't know what to think of how it would feel to Saffy. I can't imagine it would feel nice, though!
Now that you mention it, the upper tooth MUST be gone (but I will check with the vet to be sure) otherwise it would make no sense that her jaw could have closed at all. The tooth had grown outwards towards her cheek.
Wow-poor bunnies. So many teeth troubles with such a tiny mouths and sensitive tummies!

To respond to an earlier suggestion about insurance...insurance isn't available for 'exotics' in Canada. Can you believe that? Bunnies are considered exotics? That's crazy. I just have a considerable bunny health fund put away for them.

Hi there, I'm glad I haven't broken down Canadian - British relations irrevocably!
I find it hard to answer whether the actual tooth trimming is painful. It's also that the bun's mouth has to be held wide open, & we can certainly get painful muscle spasm (trismus) just from opening our mouths a long time at the dentist. Thumper gets back to eating infinately better & is much "happier & livelier" in himself with pain relief afterwards, even though he gets cross about taking it.

About the length of the tooth, we are thinking along the same lines. It would also explain why only 1 tooth is affected which is unusual.
As the teeth grow continuously if the upper tooth is missing that lower one will keep on regrowing high. There may be something to be said for removing it, at some stage.

I know what you mean about buns being classed as "exotics" it's the same here. Our pet insurers won't cover for dentals. I ended up taking out a building society account for Thumper. My rabbit has more savings than I have. :shock:

Last edited:
Very interesting information-all of it! Again, thanks so much!

And PS: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the British!!! :love::love::love:
(Even before AbFab and Little Britain) hehehe

Back