• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Harness

Milly:)

Young Bun
Does anyone know where I can get a decent priced large rabbit harness? Preferably a harness/vest type one?

My bun is 12inch neck and 18inch waist, all the ones I've found have been too small :(

Any ideas? :)

A harness for a rabbit? Why do you need one? I know mine wouldn't let me put one on.

So I can walk him around the garden, as I dont want to let him loose as he may eat a plant he shouldnt or digg out. I arent going to walk him anywhere other than the garden.

& hes a french lop about 4.7kg - so not massive

:)

So I can walk him around the garden, as I dont want to let him loose as he may eat a plant he shouldnt or digg out. I arent going to walk him anywhere other than the garden.

& hes a french lop about 4.7kg - so not massive

The large ones should fit Frenchies, is your bun a bit on the chubby side?

Like I said before, it's easy to make one, or just buy a dog/cat harness :)

I highly doubt that he will enjoy having a harness on!
Can't you let him in a space that is totally safe? With nothing he might eat.
If he panicks when he has got a harness on he could get tangled up and strangle himself.

I definatly wouldn't ever put a harness or my Buns x

:roll::roll: I really think this is wrong! they arent ment to be on leads,it will stress him out.

Dogs aren't 'ment' to be on leads either, but a lot of the time it is necessary.

Some rabbits hate the harness, some don't mind it. My rabbits have been used to the harness from 6 - 12 weeks of age, and don't have a problem with it. I only use harnesses for jumping now, as I can trust them free range.

PS. Standing with a rabbit on a lead for hours is very boring, if you don't have a lot of patience get a run :lol:

I highly doubt that he will enjoy having a harness on!
Can't you let him in a space that is totally safe? With nothing he might eat.
If he panicks when he has got a harness on he could get tangled up and strangle himself.

I definatly wouldn't ever put a harness or my Buns x

If the harness is fitted properly, and the rabbit is supervised when in it then you shouldn't have any problems like this

By the way, I hope you realise you can very rarely walk a rabbit, the rabbit walks you! :lol: They are very unlikely to go where you want them to go, but if they do try escape, or go somewhere they shouldn't you can keep the lead stiff and pick them up.

If the harness is fitted properly, and the rabbit is supervised when in it then you shouldn't have any problems like this

But with the lead, the panic, and they could get it around their neck. They would move so fast, and panic soo quickly that they would be hopping allover the place.

But with the lead, the panic, and they could get it around their neck. They would move so fast, and panic soo quickly that they would be hopping allover the place.

Yes, you have to be prepared to loosen or drop the lead in such situation

Can I just clear up that:
I would never stress or harm an animal on purpose.
I would like to try a harness so the rabbit could have more space - he does have a large hutch and run but I'm just trying to enrich his life.
I wouldnt force him to wear a harness in any way nor would I pull on it to hurt him.

By the way, I hope you realise you can very rarely walk a rabbit, the rabbit walks you! :lol: They are very unlikely to go where you want them to go, but if they do try escape, or go somewhere they shouldn't you can keep the lead stiff and pick them up.

Yeah thanks :) I wouldnt drag him or anything, just let him hop around

Milly I have pm'd you:D

I know a lot of people are anti harnesses and I myself wouldn't use them, but for some people if they are in an area where predators are more prevalent, I dont see any harm in using one supervised(e.g walking round the garden with it on them) if it enriches the rabbits life in that it gives them more exercise by being able to free range on one.

I also feel that surely people on here are not going to continue to use one if they see it stressing their rabbit and would have the brains to take it off immediately and not try it again if it was.:roll:

Can I just clear up that:
I would never stress or harm an animal on purpose.
I would like to try a harness so the rabbit could have more space - he does have a large hutch and run but I'm just trying to enrich his life.
I wouldnt force him to wear a harness in any way nor would I pull on it to hurt him.

Try this - When he's out in the run, stand near him. If he runs away from your feet, the harness may not be for him.

For some buns, its the harness round the neck they dont like. For others, it's the fact that your standing over them, but a lot of the time they get used to this and realise you're not a threat.

Back