• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phantom Pregnancy? U/D Fizz is a boy :( Need advice asap :(:(

kerry-123

Mama Doe
Some of you may have seen my other thread about Pancakes, who I thought was pregnant. So I instantly took her down to the vets who had a really good feel about her and said she defiently was not. Now she's engaging in some nesting behaviour, she's getting spayed next week, and she's 7 months old. Could this just be a phantom pregnancy? She's also been a bit snappy lately.

Last edited:
If she hasn't been near a male in the last 32 days, then yes, sounds like a phantom:D

Yeah she lives with three other girls (only Scooch has been spayed so far) I'm terrified incase they have been improperly sexed AGAIN:cry: I can't deal with anymore babies. But as she's 7 months old (in with her litter sisters and mum) she would of been pregnant long ago if one was a boy?

Poor Pancakes!

Phantom pregnancy symptoms include nest building, pulling fur agression and on 'the day' possibly not eating. Amber did this a couple of time sbefore her spay but i'm pretty sure she didn't have a bloated tummy or anything. She did grunt and 'honk' and run about like a loon before too. She got a bit agetaited as well. She built a lovely nest the day before her spay:roll:

Last edited:
Poor Pancakes!

Phantom pregnancy symptoms include nest building, pulling fur agression and on 'the day' possibly not eating. Amber did this a couple of time sbefore her spay but i'm pretty sure she didn't have a bloated tummy or anything. She did grunt and 'honk' and run about like a loon before too.

see she lives with another unspayed girlie and she's acting fine, if she was pregnant surely the other girl would be too? If she has babies...I just couldn't cope :cry: and it would be a second generation inbreeding:cry::cry: I just can't even think about it

To me it sounds like hormones :)

If you are still unsure then maybe take your thress buns to the vet to have them sexed properly. This will put your mind at rest hun

yeah tbh I'm gonna take fizz now I'm really unsure omg..if she's actually a boy :cry::cry: I'm just at such a loss :cry: I'm gonna get in the taxi soon. What I don't get is with my other bun Joey, when he was un-neutered he was mental and bit Scooch after he impregnanted her, and Fizz is with me now really calm and normal. And a vet actually looked at pancakes and said she wasn't pregnant. And Daisy lives with them surely she'd be pregnant too?... I think Fizzmight be a boy...Please guys send me lots of vibes I'm literally gonna start crying:cry:

Awwww,Hunny.Im pretty sure that if you had a fella in there,you would have had babies a long time ago.
I can see my male nethies plums really clearly...since he was about 6 months.
Im not a techie but hopefully someone can pop a pic or two on here so you can see the difference.
Chin up!!xxxxxx

Update just back from the vets...Fizz is a boy :cry: I can't believe this why can't anyone just TELL ME THE SEX OF MY RABBITS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!! :cry::cry::cry: I'm gonna get Daisy checked tomorrow :cry: what if they are both pregnant? (mum is spayed thank God). I'm gonna have to turn them into the RSPCA :cry::cry::cry: Can they foster the mums and put the babies in rehome then return Pancakes and Daisy to me once the kits are weaned? I really don't want to lose them :cry:
I checked Pancakes nest, nothing in it and she's not bothered by it, she isn't even going over to it? But I'm sure she is pregnant regardless of what the vet said I mean how could she not be? Vibes please for her and Daisy:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Personally I would continue with the spay. I know others wouldn't, but the chances of the litter having problems is so high, as (correct me if I am wrong) their parents are related, and they are too. Is there no way you could get them both spayed and put your mind at rest

Personally I would continue with the spay. I know others wouldn't, but the chances of the litter having problems is so high, as (correct me if I am wrong) their parents are related, and they are too. Is there no way you could get them both spayed and put your mind at rest

Pancakes is booked for a spay next tuesday and Fizz is tomorrow...should I switch the bunnies? What if they vet says they wont do it because she's pregnant (because yes I totally agree with you)

Also Fizz is booked for tomorrow but I'm gonna bring Pancakes in instead and if she hasn't had them by then (oh god this is all just so heartbreaking) I'm gonna explain the situation to them and still have her spayed.

If you explain the situation, most vets will. My vet did a very late spay on a cat that came into my care who was heavily pregnant. Most vets know the problems out there.

I would be getting the girls done as a matter of priority. If you can get both girls done at the same time, you will at least have each other to compare with, and use for guidance of course.

If you explain the situation, most vets will. My vet did a very late spay on a cat that came into my care who was heavily pregnant. Most vets know the problems out there.

I would be getting the girls done as a matter of priority. If you can get both girls done at the same time, you will at least have each other to compare with, and use for guidance of course.

I don't think that's possible it took me to ring four vets until I could get Fizz in for this tuesday all the others were quite busy. But don't worry being spayed/neutered is a huge priority and next tuesday (depending how heavily pregnant Daisy is, if she is at all) Daisy will be getting done, but I will try with everything to get it done sooner and get Fizz done. He can be bonded with my house bunny Oliver.
Can't believe this is happened...the vet sexed them I thought it was a sure thing:cry: At least she got all the others right.

I'm really sorry you have this scare, it's so not fair that you are going through it all again :cry:

As far as spaying is concerned it was discussed with Tink and her sisters when they were taken into RSPCA care. For emergency spays when there is a possibility of pregnancy it can't be done late in the pregnancy as there is too much blood supply going to the uterus and it becomes extremely dangerous for the doe concerned.

If the vet is convinced the girls aren't pregnant or could only be at early stages they should be alright but they'd need to know that they are not at the later stages.

I really hope everything works out okay for you.

Sending *not pregnant* vibes

I'm really sorry you have this scare, it's so not fair that you are going through it all again :cry:

As far as spaying is concerned it was discussed with Tink and her sisters when they were taken into RSPCA care. For emergency spays when there is a possibility of pregnancy it can't be done late in the pregnancy as there is too much blood supply going to the uterus and it becomes extremely dangerous for the doe concerned.

If the vet is convinced the girls aren't pregnant or could only be at early stages they should be alright but they'd need to know that they are not at the later stages.

I really hope everything works out okay for you.

Sending *not pregnant* vibes

Thanks for the advice I'll get the vet to check her out tomorrow before the spay and give her all the information. If another vet has told me she isn't pregnant then is she either just plain wrong or could she be in early pregnancy? Cause she really did have a good feel about there, lets hope at the very least the pregnancy is early or it's off to the RPSCA :cry::cry::cry:

Thanks for the advice I'll get the vet to check her out tomorrow before the spay and give her all the information. If another vet has told me she isn't pregnant then is she either just plain wrong or could she be in early pregnancy? Cause she really did have a good feel about there, lets hope at the very least the pregnancy is early or it's off to the RPSCA :cry::cry::cry:

I don't know. I'm just guessing that she would have to be quite well into the pregnancy before you could feel the kits. If there are any experienced breeders around they may be able to advise you at what stage you could tell they were pregnant, as I know some breeders feel the doe to confirm the pregnancy.

I don't know. I'm just guessing that she would have to be quite well into the pregnancy before you could feel the kits. If there are any experienced breeders around they may be able to advise you at what stage you could tell they were pregnant, as I know some breeders feel the doe to confirm the pregnancy.

Yeah that's what I thought but her tummy is quite swollen there really aren't any decent breeders around here :roll:, so maybe it is quite early if she couldn't feel them...even though she made a nest (but there's no kits in it :?) And she has deff not gotten any slimmer in last day.

Back