• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phoebe Bites!

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
I've had my new wee mini lop Phoebe for about 3 weeks now, and she's settled in fantastically. She runs the house and has totally fallen in love with Nermal (who is one year old tomorrow!). She's been grooming Nermal quite a lot and he's so lazy that he's delighted to have someone washing him! But i've noticed that when she grooms Nermal then comes over to me to do the same thing, she isn't licking, which Nermal does all the time, she's kind of nipping? It doesn't seem aggressive though, and also doesn't seem hormonal - have had experience of that, and it's sort of frenzied - it just seems like she doesn't really know how to groom without biting!

Am I alone here? She's always very calm when she does it so I assume she doesn't just hate me, but I want to find out if there's any way I can teach her not to nip without discouraging her from trying to groom me altogether??? Help! I have sore arms!!!

I've had my new wee mini lop Phoebe for about 3 weeks now, and she's settled in fantastically. She runs the house and has totally fallen in love with Nermal (who is one year old tomorrow!). She's been grooming Nermal quite a lot and he's so lazy that he's delighted to have someone washing him! But i've noticed that when she grooms Nermal then comes over to me to do the same thing, she isn't licking, which Nermal does all the time, she's kind of nipping? It doesn't seem aggressive though, and also doesn't seem hormonal - have had experience of that, and it's sort of frenzied - it just seems like she doesn't really know how to groom without biting!

Am I alone here? She's always very calm when she does it so I assume she doesn't just hate me, but I want to find out if there's any way I can teach her not to nip without discouraging her from trying to groom me altogether??? Help! I have sore arms!!!

Not really. Gentle grooming using the teeth is quite normal for some rabbits - especially when they come into contact with hair. For example if my bun grooms my bare face he licks, if he reaches my hairline he will use his teeth and nibble. I would avoid giving any reaction at all - perhaps wear some thick sleeves instead. Any reaction will teach your bunny that what she does gets some sort of response. It is better to ignore unwanted behaviour. :)

Back