• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely rabbits.

Bex09

Warren Scout
I am worrying that I am not giving my rabbits enough time and attention. They are not bonded (as two males only nueterd 4 weeks ago). OH and I go out to work at 7.30 and don't come back until 6.00, when I let them straight out into their runs in the garage but then put them to bed about 9 or 10. So they are only getting 3 or 4 hours out each day. I spend some time with them in their runs, which they love, binkying when I walk in, etc. But they look really sad when I have to leave to go and do tea, washing, etc. I try to let one out in the house with us each night for company for them, but as weather is colder I am worried about temp changes. I just feel like they must be so bored and lonely and not having a good life but don't know what I can do, any ideas as just want them to be happy?

I feel the same way about my rabbit. He is all alone outside, and I feel so guilty when I shut the door on him. I am going to get him nutered and hopefully get him a friend! Are your boys going to be bonded?

I am hoping to bond them yeah, but so worried about it as they fought when very young (we were told they were male and female!) I just wish I could have them free range all day.

can you attach runs to the hutches? or put the hutches in an aviary split down the middle so they can see each other for company and play out all day aswell? would have to be really secure obv.

can you attach runs to the hutches? or put the hutches in an aviary split down the middle so they can see each other for company and play out all day aswell? would have to be really secure obv.

They have their hutches in their runs at the min, but both find it great fun to jump on top of their hutches and have both jumped out once or twice!! So can't leave them out all of the time at the min. Am hoping to try to put netting on the top and raise their cages so that they can't escape, then they can be out in their run all day. They can see each other all of the time and do run up and down together 'cos their runs are about 4 inches apart.

so the runs have no roof? or the run is extra height and the hutch is inside?

don't use netting and leave them out, anything could get through that.

it's nice they can see each other for now! :)

so the runs have no roof? or the run is extra height and the hutch is inside?

don't use netting and leave them out, anything could get through that.

it's nice they can see each other for now! :)

Sorry not explained that well! They both have their own run with no roof because they are in a big secure double garage, so nothing can get in and they can't get out of the garage. But their hutches are inside the runs too (so they can come and go) and the sides of the runs are nearly 5 foot high.

ah, i see!!! so they jump onto the hutches and out into the garage and get to each other!

can you build a partition in the garage so they can have half each?

That's sounds like a good idea.

Bramble has access to his run 24-7, infact I think he is still sleeping in it! I feel guilty because I am indoors ironing and he is just outside all alone. :(

If a rabbit has access to their run all the time, is it necessary to let them out in the garden everyday?

Yeah a partition might work better, as although they have never bitten or attacked each other through the wire when they got out it worries me that they could. Also panic that the 5 ft drop on the other side will hurt them. I guess once they are bonded (hopefully in another month or so) then they can both just have free run of whole garage, as brand new and never been used for anything else other than the rabbits. Does it matter that they do not get too much human company though? They both love cuddles and being fussed. And what about the temperature when they come to play in the house?

That's sounds like a good idea.

Bramble has access to his run 24-7, infact I think he is still sleeping in it! I feel guilty because I am indoors ironing and he is just outside all alone. :(

If a rabbit has access to their run all the time, is it necessary to let them out in the garden everyday?

Can You not bring him into the house for a run around? That's what we do but I am worrying about the temp change.

Well mine certainly love running round in the kitchen and the living room. Although OH goes mad as Barney digs at the carpet, which is new!! :roll: So when I am doing tea, ironing etc I do it in the kitchen with one of the rabbits in for a run around. So you could do that too. I still worry that I am a bad bunny mum when I hear about house rabbits who get company allday though.

Hi:wave:

When I get home from work its usually dark so my two males buns each get a turn in the house for a couple of hours and then they go back out to their hutches.
They are absolutley fine with the differnet temperatures.
I have to watch Sammy, he comes inside and goes right upstair (no hello or anything) and sits under the bed next to the radiator. His little bum gets all toasty :) before he goes back outside I make sure he has been away from the radiator for about 20 mins.
This is their third winter and I've done this everyear without any problems.
I still get really worried about them being out there :( They have extra blankets / fleeces, hutch covers and heat pads but I still worry.

I brought Bramble in last night for a run around the house. He loved it and didn't want to go back out! :lol:

I brought Bramble in last night for a run around the house. He loved it and didn't want to go back out! :lol:

Ahh that is great news. I am glad he enjoyed it so much.:D I guess as long as the house isn't too hot and they are only in for a couple of hours the temp change won't be too bad. Mine are in the garage so it isn't really that cold in there anyway. Hope my bonding goes ok so then they can snuggle up together. Going to try to sort a roof on my runs this weekend so they can stay in their all day too.

If the garage is secure let them out alternately, then if they do break out the other is safe in the hutch. One can have the night shift 9pm-8am and the other the day shift 8am-9pm :)

Back