• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you get brave enough...

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
to let your rabbits be free range?
I really want Charlie to just be allowed out all the time but I'm nervous :oops:

My room is rabbit proof (apart from one wire but I'm going to get some covering for it) and he can't get to the other cages, but I'm nervous about just leaving him out all the time!

Also, what shops can you buy good wire coving that cheeky bunny teeth won't be able to get through?

I really want my boy to have constant freedom :love:

Was also thinking of a cheap child gate over my door to keep him in, but can rabbits get through the bars of them?

B&Q sell plastic conduit very cheaply to cover wires. I just put a puppy pen, opened up, over where the wires are and he can't get to them :D

Try leaving him freeranging for an hour or so at first and then check on him. As long as he can't hurt himself, or your possessions!, then he should be fine.

B&Q sell plastic conduit very cheaply to cover wires. I just put a puppy pen, opened up, over where the wires are and he can't get to them :D

Try leaving him freeranging for an hour or so at first and then check on him. As long as he can't hurt himself, or your possessions!, then he should be fine.

His playtime is all free range anyway, just not 24/7 :lol:
Will places like Wilkinsons sell the plastic conduit do you think?

Strawberry can get through a baby gate so we cant use one. We just close the door to the room he is in. If we are home he is free range in the house, every room is bunny proofed. When we are working they are free range in one room which we have spent hours bunny proofing. We have different flooring down, piece of laminate flooring protecting skirting boards, mdf panels protecting walls as Strawbs sprays and that plastic kitchen drawer liner stuck to the door to stop them chewing it! Plus an mfd board in front of the door!

Strawberry can get through a baby gate so we cant use one. We just close the door to the room he is in. If we are home he is free range in the house, every room is bunny proofed. When we are working they are free range in one room which we have spent hours bunny proofing. We have different flooring down, piece of laminate flooring protecting skirting boards, mdf panels protecting walls as Strawbs sprays and that plastic kitchen drawer liner stuck to the door to stop them chewing it! Plus an mfd board in front of the door!

No babygate then :lol: Was just an idea because Charlie needs to stay in my room, but the bird goes in other rooms too so she could have got through it.
Thankfully Charlie is a good bou and doesn't chew doors or walls :D and my carpet is just destroyed anyway so he can't do any worse :lol:

That woul be great if he got to be a free roam bunny :)
I want Fudge to be a free roam bunny but she likes to pee on the carpet and pee on my bed and enjoys finding new places to get stuck in :roll:

try him free roam for 1 day and see if it works :D

That woul be great if he got to be a free roam bunny :)
I want Fudge to be a free roam bunny but she likes to pee on the carpet and pee on my bed and enjoys finding new places to get stuck in :roll:

try him free roam for 1 day and see if it works :D

Charlie used to pee on my bed but I sorted that out :lol:
He's been out for a few hours today and I left him alone a couple of times and when I came back all was safe :D

The thing I'm most worried about is if he tried to chew my hair while I was in bed :oops:

how did you stop him peeing on the bed? o_O My bun does that too its most annoying..especially when he pee's orange :roll:

you could always try a babygate with mesh/chickent wire or something over it so he cant squeeze through the bars.
Bea can get get over a baby gate, so she has 2 puppy pens on top of each other (about 5 1/2 ft high) the other thing I've found really usefull is wooden/plastic extendable trellis (if that makes sence)

Yes - putting mesh on a babygate is not too hard. I can do it, and I'm notoriously terrible at DIY. :lol: So don't dismiss the babygate just yet.

Mine are free range but I suppose it was easier for us as there's nothing that wouldn't take kindly to being chowed on in the kitchen/dining room area where they are (don't worry, we don't eat in the dining room! :lol: Neither me or the housemate cares enough for sit down meals so we converted it to a bunnyroom.)

how did you stop him peeing on the bed? o_O My bun does that too its most annoying..especially when he pee's orange :roll:

When he did it at first I just banned him coming on the bed, and then when I let him back up and he did it again after a week or something, I banned him again... Being bannned after he did it got the idea through to his head and he hasn't done it since :D

He's out and alone in my room as we speak again, and it's so nice having him run over to say hello when I go back in to check on him :love::love:

Fiver is free range in my room all the time :| i can sit in my room all day banning him from the bed. he'd just keep jumping up over and over again... believe me i've tried :| i'm going to put a shower curtain over the bed and then a blanket. (i already have a blanket on the bed but obv his pee goes straight through to the duvet) i guess i'll just have to hope he stops it o_O

He is litter trained as well! he's only doing it to annoy me lol.

It's nice to have them free range. Only just let him be free range so i'm going through the same things as you are steph lol.
Fiver used to come out now and again in my room but always supervised and now he's out when im not ion the room but in the house.. hopefully eventually i can have him free range 24/7 providing he doesn't dive on me while i'm asleep o_O

Fiver is free range in my room all the time :| i can sit in my room all day banning him from the bed. he'd just keep jumping up over and over again... believe me i've tried :| i'm going to put a shower curtain over the bed and then a blanket. (i already have a blanket on the bed but obv his pee goes straight through to the duvet) i guess i'll just have to hope he stops it o_O

He is litter trained as well! he's only doing it to annoy me lol.

It's nice to have them free range. Only just let him be free range so i'm going through the same things as you are steph lol.
Fiver used to come out now and again in my room but always supervised and now he's out when im not ion the room but in the house.. hopefully eventually i can have him free range 24/7 providing he doesn't dive on me while i'm asleep o_O

I used a shower curtain with a blanket over when Charlie was a baby and he was only allowed on my bed. I miss him being that little :love:
Haha yeah I'm worried about being dived on in the night, Charlie already thinks he owns me :lol:
Fiver sounds like a lovely little character, even if he is trying to annoy you by peeing on your bed :lol:

I used a shower curtain with a blanket over when Charlie was a baby and he was only allowed on my bed. I miss him being that little :love:
Haha yeah I'm worried about being dived on in the night, Charlie already thinks he owns me :lol:
Fiver sounds like a lovely little character, even if he is trying to annoy you by peeing on your bed :lol:

haha yeh he is when he's not attacking me :shock:
he's being a naughty boy atm but i think he just wants attention so hopefully he'll be back to his cuddly self soon o_O

Back