• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding problems

danp83

New Kit
Hi all,

We have two mini lops and they love pushing all the bedding out of the sleeping area in the hutch. We have stopped putting bedding hay in the sleeping area as they always push it out and down the hole to the second level.

What with the colder weather coming I'm a little concerned that they are going to get cold. They don't seem to like anything in the sleeping area, not even woodshavings. They don't tend to go in there, normally they only use it to hide from me when I'm trying to catch them.

To start with only one rabbit would push the bedding out, but now the other has picked up on it and now does the same. They also have a 'igloo' and they don't like bedding hay in there either

Any ideas why they are doing this and what I could do about it?

Many Thanks,
Dan

Hi

First off why bunnies move things is a mystery to most of us! They just do - one of mine religiously moves her litter tray on top of the other one :?

As long as they have a big pile of hay somewhere to snuggle in it shouldn't matter too much. You could always get a heatpad/snugglesafe for extra warmth, although not all bunnies like them...

Good luck x

Thanks for the reply, I thought it might be one of those 'quirks' that bunnies have. They never seem to have a set place where they sleep, they spend pretty much all thier time in the coldest open part of the cage hence why i'm a little concerned about them getting cold.

I think they like to see whats going on but there is no protection from the cold/wind.

Dan

Thanks for the reply, I thought it might be one of those 'quirks' that bunnies have. They never seem to have a set place where they sleep, they spend pretty much all thier time in the coldest open part of the cage hence why i'm a little concerned about them getting cold.

I think they like to see whats going on but there is no protection from the cold/wind.

Dan

How about filling the open part of the hutch with lots and lots of thick hay instead :D

I put aload of hay in the bottom part last night, this morning they decided they didn't want it there and stuffed it in a tube :?

I'll give it another go and put more in one corner.

Many thanks,
Dan

i have heard of more rabbits pushing their bedding down the ramp than not! :lol: just use hay in all the hutch and let them sort it out. my two used to push all their bedding out when they lived in a hutch outside, but when it was too cold, they would lie on it and keep warm. aslong as there is enough in there then they will use it if they need to. :)

Back